Crumbling Time (Chap. 12)

This story is getting really close to the climax! This is probably one of my other favorite chapters, just because it's so insane. Please enjoy, and comment/vote/fan!

____________

12. Arrival

"Thank you." I threw my arms around Cam's neck. "I feel like...a million bucks."

"I hoped they...would help."

My headache was just a background annoyance. I could actually think straight. I hadn't felt like that in a while, so it felt nice to be back like that. Back to my almost-normal.

I knew it wouldn't last....

I had to enjoy it while it did.

"You got...some sleep...too, right?" I asked, slowly pulling away from him, watching his face to make sure he wouldn't lie to me. I was really starting to think my bad habits were rubbing off on him.

He nodded. "I took...a small nap."

"You're gonna...need some...caffeine."

He shrugged. "I'll be...fine."

I gave him a look, and he assured me again, then ushered me out the motel room door. He helped me into the car-which earned more protests from me-then went to pay for the room. When he got back we were off on the road again.

"Is your...headache-"

"I'll live," I interrupted quickly.

He smiled at me crookedly then turned to look back at the road.

It was about an hour later that that smile disappeared from his face and the car was stopped in front of a huge, scary-looking building.

"How are we...supposed to...get in?" I asked, staring at the building in awe. It was just so important and...official.

"I would say...freeze time...but if you...could do that...we wouldn't be here." He glanced at me to humor him.

I sarcastically smiled. "No kidding."

"Then we ask," he concluded.

"That'll definitely...be easy," I remarked.

He nudged my shoulder with his.

"Sorry," I apologized. "I'm being...negative and this...is for me."

"Just relax," he urged.

"I am," I assured him, but the higher-than-normal pitch in my voice contradicted me. I shut my mouth to prevent any more words from betraying me.

He took a deep breath, then pressed his foot on the gas, and we moved forward to the security gate.

The guard on duty looked bored and glanced down at his clipboard. "Name and ID," he ordered, and it surprised me when I could hear the whole sentence. That guy must've really hated his job.

Cam cleared his throat.

"What?" the guy asked aggravated, looking up. "Oh, um, wh-ou want? The-freeway is tha-" He pointed in the direction opposite.

"We don't wa-to the freeway," Cam said, keeping his patience.

"Then what?"

"We want to-Carnell."

The guard looked at both of us wearily. "Why?"

"It's important."

"Why?"

"I can't tel-if you let-he'll recognize us."

My heart was beating faster after every word they said, despite not being able to hear them all.