Crumbling Time (Chap. 2)

2. Parties are...Fun?

"Hey, girl." Daphne slid into the empty chair across from me at the lunch table.

"Hey, Daph," I replied after a bite of my sandwich.

"Guess what?" she asked excitedly.

"Huh?"

"There's a party Friday night at the Galloways' house. Everyone in our grade's going."

"That's nice," I said without enthusiasm. When she said everyone, she meant me included. I wasn't on the same page. Hence...no enthusiasm.

"Oh, come on, don't give me that tone. We have to go. We have to show the world what Daphne and Lexie-that's us-are really made of."

"As much as I would love to socialize with the people that torment me everyday, I think I'll pass."

"Please?"

"No."

"Please?"

"No."

"Pretty, pretty please with a big fat juicy cherry on top?"

"No, no, never with a big slender shiny Camaro on top."

"Ugh, Lexie. Please tell me why you're so stubborn."

"Because I need to convince the people in this school that I'm not a Wiccan."

She laughed. "I can see where that could make you how you are. But come. So many people will be there-including cute guys."

"I'm not as boy crazy as you are."

"Okay then, wrong way of persuasion. What do you like that I can use?" She leaned across the table, waiting eagerly for my answer.

"I will not say a word."

She leaned back in her seat again and thought hard, making her forehead scrunch up from the concentration. "How about...it will be too dark and noisy for anyone to notice it's you."

"That does make it sound more appealing"-and it really did-"but I'm still going to say no."

"But I'll be lonely if you don't come with me."

"Then don't go."

"I'm not missing the biggest socializing event of the year."

"Well I am."

"Please again?"

"No again."

She stopped arguing, but I knew that silence would only last for today. She would stalk me for the rest of the week until I finally caved, but I wouldn't, wouldn't, would not.

For the rest if the week I was bombarded by Daphne and I ignored her as best I could. But I never stopped hearing about the stupid party. Every hall you turned down, there was a group of people whispering about it. They talked about who they were going with, who other people were going with, yada yada. It was easier to ignore them because I knew no one else would ask me if I was going.

By Friday, I had just about heard enough about the ridiculous bash. I just wanted to shout to the world that it wasn't anything special. There had been one just like it last year, and no one said two words about it. The only thing different about this one was that a few more people were going.

And guess what? It wound up including me. Daphne dragged me to the party, as much as I protested.

"Just come," she had said. "You'll have fun. I promise."