Crumbling Time (Chap. 7)

Okay, so this chapter there's a lot of details and explanations. It was hard to explain everything in writing, so it might get a little confusing. If you don't understand something, please ask me questions.

Thanks, and please comment/vote/fan. It's really appreciated :)

____________

7. Big Problems

I woke up feeling refreshed yet crappy, what with the headache I felt forming. I thought that was weird. Usually sleeping for a few hours made my headaches go away, not form. But I just noted to myself to take a few aspirin before leaving for school and went about my morning ritual.

When I got to the kitchen, there was a note on the table. I picked it up and noticed it was from my parents. It basically said that they both had to leave early for work and was on my own for breakfast. It also mentioned that Daphne had called earlier to say she had to get gas on the way to school, so she would be late picking me up. With all that in mind, I threw out the note and began preparing measly cereal.

Then after I finished breakfast and was ready for school, I sat on my couch as I waited for Daphne to get to my house. I put in my iPod ear buds so I could pass the time more quickly. I pressed Play and the music started. But then the music stopped. Then it started again.

Stopped.

Started.

Stopped.

I stared at my iPod in utter confusion. I wasn't touching the buttons at all. I flicked the back of the iPod, not sure if it was just some sort of piece out of place. But that didn't work. Finally I turned the thing off and put it away in the kitchen. Then I heard a car horn sound out front. I grabbed my backpack and headed outside, closing and locking the door behind me.

For some reason, the car engine seemed to be turning on and off too. Like, one second I heard the roar of it, and the next...nothing. On and off, on and off. That was so weird.

I got into the car and put my backpack on the floor. "Hey," I greeted, hiding my confusion.

"Hey, Lex," Daphne replied. She put the car in drive and started moving.

I watched the road, and as we moved forward, it seemed like we would stop moving, then start again. Start and stop. Just like the iPod and the engine.

What was going on?

I closed my eyes tightly, then opened them again to see that it continued on-it wasn't my imagination.

We still got to school on time, but my headache-crap, I had forgotten to grab some medicine-had almost increased to a migraine. Daphne didn't notice anything strange with me and got out of the car. I sat there for a few extra seconds before stepping out and standing beside the car.

The students were doing it too. They would be walking, but then they would stop abruptly. Then they walked again-

Hold up. What was that?

I looked closer, squinting to see-which caused me to flinch because of my headache. I took note to go to the nurse's office for some medicine, then watched my classmates harder. They would walk for about a second, then they would stop. Then they would walk again-

Yes! Just as I thought.

The kids would be walking forward one second, stop the next, then they would walk again-a few paces ahead of where they stopped.

I stared in confusion, trying to figure out what was going on. But then Daphne interrupted me.

"Hey, Lex," she said. "Are you-?"