Crumbling Time (Chap. 9)

I kinda love this chapter. I don't know why I love it so much, but I do. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it :)

Please tell me your thoughts!

_______________

9. Road Trip

"Can I go on a trip with...a friend over spring break," I blurted over breakfast the next morning. I was able to get the sentence out with one pause, since I spoke so quickly. There was just the matter of if she understood me.

Mom turned to look at me, surprised I was actually still in the kitchen with her. She had gotten used to my frequent bailing. "What was that?" she asked.

"Can I go on a trip over break," I repeated quickly.

"With Daphne?" Mom assumed.

Crap, here I had to get sneaky. Going to an unknown place with Daphne-a girl-would've been perfectly fine for my parents. But I was actually going to be leaving with Cam-a guy-and that wouldn't go over as well. We would be sharing a room, after all, if we stayed in a hotel-and just being alone with a boy before they met him was completely uncalled for. Well, it would be more irresponsible, despite the fact that nothing bad they could possibly think of would ever happen.

"No, actually," I said. "With another friend...Cam-eron." I slurred into the last part of the name, realizing it right then. It would sound just like a girl name. I just had to be careful with the rest of the conversation.

"Oh?" Mom seemed to be happy that I had found another friend. I couldn't blame her for feeling that way. Daphne had been my only friend since the day we moved here.

"Yeah," I said, perking up. "Cameron's parents are allowing...her"-it was so strange to be referring to Cam as a she-"to bring a guest.... Can I go?"

"Where are the-?"

I only needed to hear the "where" to get it. "Um, they're...going to"-think, think-"Florida. Disney World."

"And they're-with them? That's-of money."

I studied her face for a moment, wishing that she hadn't said as much. I thought about what she said, hoping I got what she said and saying back, "Cameron's older brother...who's in college...was going to go too...but he has a lot of work...so he can't anymore.... They have an extra ticket."

"Oh, alright then.... As long as they don't mind."

I inwardly sighed that she paused between sentences. It was nice to hear whole sentences from her. "They're fine with it," I said quickly.

"You can go."

"Thank you!" I said excitedly. Then to prevent any more conversation, I shoved my breakfast into my mouth and left the kitchen.

"She let me go!" was the first thing I said to Cam as he came into the classroom and sat beside me.

"Who did what?" he asked, not sure of the subject.

"My mom," I explained. "She's letting me...go over the break.... She just thinks you're...a girl and we're going...to Disney World."

He glared at me. "You made me...a girl?"

I smiled. "Yup. But come on...my parents would...never let me go...anywhere alone with...a guy."

He smiled crookedly. "That's how it is...huh?"

I blushed, looking away from him. "Yeah, it is," I muttered.

"Anyway, my parents...let me go too."