Crumbling Time (Chap. 8)

8. Ideas

My headache wasn't any better at all the next day at school. If anything, it was worse. Much worse.

Cam sat in the seat next to me that day again.

"Hi," I said weakly.

"Did you take anything?" he asked.

I nodded. Like it helped much. I woke up with the sun shining, birds chirping, and my headache pounding like it had never left.

"It didn't work?"

"What was your...first clue?"

He half smiled. "What are...we going to...do about this?"

"I thought...you were going...to come up...with an idea.... You're the...smart one."

"That's not...necessarily true."

"Yes, it actually is."

He shrugged, pity in his eyes. "Well, I'm not...going to argue.... I doubt you...are in the mood."

"You're so right."

He smiled. "Anyway...what shall we do?"

I leaned back in my seat and thought about that for a while. There were quite a few ways that could have caused this to happen. "Well, we can't...seem to agree on...what actually caused this."

"And...?" Cam prodded.

"If it is my...assumption...all we have to...do is wait.... But if it's your theory...maybe we...." I didn't even finish the sentence after time unfroze again.

"Lexie?" Cam asked. "What's up? What do...you think?"

I shook my head. "It's impossible."

"Tell me...whatever it is. Any idea...is a start."

"This is dangerous." I gazed him right in the eyes.

"We can handle it."

I was still hesitant.

Cam's hand was then over mine, squeezing it reassuringly. My heart pounded in excitement but I barely noticed it. "Lex, just...say it."

I sighed. "Well, I was thinking...that we should...no." I pulled my hand away and stared at both my hands in my lap. "We don't...even know if...that's the case."

"That's okay.... An idea is an idea.... What is it?"

When I still refused to tell him, or even look at him, Cam held my face by my chin and forced me to.

"I just thought...if what you...said was true...we could always try...to go to the guy...that had the waste barrels."

Cam's hand dropped from my face.

"Are...you...serious?" he asked. He didn't need to pause, that's just how shocked he was.

I nodded slowly, looking away again, having already expected that reaction. "It's the only...logical solution.... If he created...the crap that did...this to me...then he must know...how to get rid of it."

"I hate to say...that I actually agree-"

"But it's an insane idea." I finished. "A walk to...our death bed."

He shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "I wouldn't say that.... But it is dangerous...you were right."

"We can't do it."

"We might have to."

"You mean I might.... I won't let you...go into the...face of danger." I braced myself for an argument.