Skin Deep

SCENE: The . Past. . , , , a steward and several others study a map of nearby regions.

Steward: Sir, there's news from the battlefield. Avonlea has fallen.
Maurice: Oh, my gods...
Gaston: If only he had come...
Maurice: Well he didn't, did he? (Crosses the room) are not men. (Sits down on the throne seat)
Gaston: We have to do something, we have to stop them. (Belle crosses the room to Maurice.)
Maurice: They are... unstoppable.
Belle: He could be on his way right now, Papa.
Maurice: It's too late, my girl. It's just... too late. (There is a banging at the door.)
Belle: That's him! That has to be him. (Everyone approaches the door.)
Maurice: How could he get past the walls? Open it! (Some guards open the door; revealing no one standing in the hall.)
: (Sitting on Maurice's throne) Well, that was a bit of a let down! You sent me a message, something about, "Help! Help! We're dying. Can you save us?" (Gaston points his sword at him.) Well the answer is... (Rumplestiltskin smacks the blade away.) Yes, I can. Yes, I can protect your little town... for a price.
Maurice: We sent you a promise of gold.
Rumplestiltskin: Ah... now, you see, um... I uh... make gold. What I want is something a bit more special. My price... is her. (Points to Belle)
Maurice: No.
Gaston: (Shielding Belle with his arm) The young lady is engaged... to me.
Rumplestiltskin: I wasn't asking if she was engaged. I'm not looking for love! I'm looking for a caretaker... for my rather large estate. It's her, or no deal.
Maurice: Get out. (Points to the door) Leave! (Gaston pulls Belle back with his arm.)
Rumplestiltskin: (Walking toward the door) As you wish.
Belle: No, wait! (Rumplestiltskin stops and turns as she crosses towards him.) I will go with him.
Gaston: I forbid it, Belle!
Belle: No one decides my fate but me! I shall go.
Rumplestiltskin: It's forever, dearie.
Belle: My family, my friends... they will all live?
Rumplestiltskin: You have my word.
Belle: Then you have mine. I will go, with you, forever.
Rumplestiltskin: Deal!
Maurice: Belle... Belle... you cannot do this! Belle, please! You cannot go with this.. beast.
Belle: Father... Gaston... it's been decided.
Rumplestiltskin: You know, she's right. The deal is struck. Oh, congratulations on your little war!

SCENE: . It the day prior to Valentine's Day as is unloading flowers from his delivery truck service .

: Well this is just perfect. I've been looking for you, Mr. French.
Moe: I'll have your money next week.
Mr. Gold: The terms of the loan were fairly specific... (To his henchman) Take the van. (The henchman proceeds to do so.)
Moe: Wait! No! Tomorrow's Valentine's Day! It's the biggest day of—I've got a grand in roses in the back! (Mr. Gold's henchman starts the van.) Stop! You've gotta let me sell them!
Mr. Gold: I'm gonna leave you two to continue this conversation. (Starts to walk away)
Moe: Oh, this is no way to do business, Gold! You are the lowest! People aren't gonna put up with this! (The truck is driven off; leaving Moe in the street. Mr. Gold walks down the sidewalk and comes across .)
Regina: Mr. Gold. That was quite a show back there.
Mr. Gold: Well, Mr. French is just having a bad day, happens to the best of us.
Regina: I've been meaning to talk to you about something--
Mr. Gold: Yeah, and the moment you have something I wanna discuss, we'll have that little chat.
Regina: No, we're gonna do this now. It'll only take a moment.
Mr. Gold: Is there something eating you, dear? Something you need to get out in the open? 'Cause it's gonna have to wait, please. (He walks away, leaving behind a confused-looking Regina, who is forced to obey his command due to the please enchantment.)

SCENE: Storybrooke. . and are seated at separate tables. At his own booth, David is reading by .)

Mary Margaret: (Noticing David's book title) Oh, you got the book!
David: Yeah, yeah, I just started it. It's great. I can't wait to see how it ends.
: (Refilling Mary Margaret's coffee) Uh, I can push the tables together if you guys--
Mary Margaret: Oh no, we're not together.
David: (Replying at the same time as Mary Margaret) No, it's-- (Emma arrives and sits at Mary Margaret's table across from her.)
Emma: Hey, David.
David: Hey.
Emma: Mary Margaret. So, how's your day going?
Mary Margaret: 's fine.
Emma: That's not what I asked you. (Mary Margaret gives her a knowing look.) You sure?
Mary Margaret: Really. He's his normal self. Regina won't keep you separated forever. When people are supposed to be together, they find a way (She looks over at David, who smiles at her.)
Emma: (Speaking with her mouth full) So, he's his normal self? He's fine... he's happy?
Mary Margaret: Yes. (The diner bell jingles as walks with her daughter . Emma makes a face at Mary Margaret's response.) No! He misses you! A lot! Trust me, I'm with him, like, six hours a day! (Ashley hands Alexandra to .)
Ashley: Six hours? You take newborns? 'Cause I'd love six hours.
Mary Margaret: Ashley! I didn't--I didn't even recognize you!
Ashley: Baby on the outside? (She grabs a chair to sit down at their table.)
Emma: How's it going?
Ashley: It's uh... I mean, baby's great. But, we really haven't had time to do the whole getting married thing, so... that's been rough and 's been working double shifts at the cannery.
Mary: Well, he has to work.
Ashley: On Valentine's Day? Yeah. He couldn't get out of it.
Emma: I'm sorry, that sucks. (Ruby brings Ashley a cup of coffee.)
Ruby: It doesn't have to! Come out with me! Let's have a girls' night! We can all go, Mary Margaret, Emma too, if you promise to leave the badge at home.
Emma: I'm not really in the party mood, but you guys can all go and have fun! (She exchanges a glance with Mary Margaret. Ruby walks away and Emma's phone goes off.)
Mary Margaret: What's that?
Emma: It's the station. Something's up. (She exits.)