27

I laid my back on the cold wall and sat at the dirty street. I put my hands to my face and cried. I reeked of garbage and my stomach growled.

Then, a comforting hand rubs my back, "Shh. It's okay. Everything will be okay." He said.

I shook my head, "No! Everything won't be okay. Can you see me? Can you see us? Look at us! We've been orphaned."

His eyes brimmed tears and he pulled me close to him and placed a kiss on my hair as I cry on his shoulder, "I know everything might not be okay, but a little hope is all we need to survive here."

I hugged him tightly, "You won't leave me, right? You won't make me leave again, right?"

"I won't. I won't ever again." He said.

I jolt up awake from my dream. Georgia was looking at the eyeshadows. Vivianne was picking a dress. Hannah was starting a bath.

What was that dream?

I decided to forget it and just prepare myself for the day. I was an elite.

So far, I knew that Mary replaced Carmel and I was glad for that. Gayle was starting to be nice. Everything was starting to be nice.

Except for that unnamed problem.

I greeted my maids goodmorning and headed to the tub to hopefully wash away my worries.

I wrapped myself in a fluffy robe and walked out of the bathroom. They were talking with each other about which dress I should wear, why I shouldn't wear jewelry, what color brings out my eyes, and stuff like that.

"Why are you guys making that a problem?" I asked them.

"It's your first day as an elite! You should look extravagant." Hannah stated.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Why should I? Treat this day like any other day. Besides, I've been more than an elite, remember?"

"But still!" Vivianne complained.

"No buts," I told her with a smile. It felt like I was scolding children.

Hannah and Vivianne sighed, clearly displeased with my answer. Georgia handed me a simple day dress that was in the color of light pink.

When I got dressed, they put on the usual lipstick and fixed my hair into a waterfall braid where the ends were curled.

I headed to breakfast and was slightly shocked by the emptiness of the room. Since there were only ten girls left, the spare chairs were evident.

I sat down between Gayle and Aino. I didn't know why Gayle didn't sit down beside Aino like how she would usually do but I guess people change. It's nice to see her not sucking up to the royals.

"Good morning, Haidee." Aino greeted.

I smiled, "Good morning. Hi, Gayle."

She looked startled that I greeted her but she smiled, "Hi."

"Isn't the french royal family coming on the day after tomorrow?" Aino asked.

I nodded, "Yes, and I'm so nervous. I hope nothing goes wrong."

She smiled, "They're nice. I'm sure they wouldn't snap at a single mistake."

I smiled gratefully at her, "I hope so."

I looked at everyone on the table. It was only me, Gayle, Claire, Christine, Harriet, Mary, Louise, Diana, Bloom, Julianne, Aino, Aimo, Grace, Abigail, Earl, Twain, Nicholas, Abraham, Dad, Mom, Tony, William, and Celestiana.