S E V E N T E E N | B O D Y C H E C K

Body Check: A player hits an opponent along the boards in order to separate them from the puck. 

            Xavier slowly strapped off the equipment from his body. Much like him, it was drenched with sweat and letting out a foul smell. The boys had just won against the Kitchen Rangers with a score of 6-1. It truly was a brutal game for the other team, but Xavier and his teammates were overcome with joy.

"It's been a while since we had a game like that." Jett commented.

Xavier nodded before turning to his goalie Gordon. "You looked good out there man."

Gordon slapped him on the back, "thanks man."

"You know who also looked good?" Dexter, one of the newbies on the team said smirking, "That skating chick, I think her name is Rosaura or something like that. I saw her at the practice facility the other day."

Xavier's body immediately tensed. Jett shot the kid a warning glance, but it seemed like he didn't understand. "Man, that girl has a body. You think she goes to the gym?"

There was silence in the room as the other guys kept shooting Xavier worried looks. Xavier wanted to step in and defend his girlfriend but first he wanted to see how big this kid's mouth truly was.

"You think she'll go out with me? She has to I mean, who doesn't like hockey players? I'd love to get in her pants though." Dexter laughed once more, and it seemed that's when he realized that nobody else was joining him.

Xavier had enough. "Shut your stupid fucking mouth before I glue it shut," he said in a calm manner.

Dexter's eyes widened. "Dude, I was just making a joke about a random chick."

"That random chick is my girlfriend," Xavier snarled.

Dexter held up his hands, "Relax man, I didn't know."

Xavier didn't like his attitude one bit. There were cocky guys in the league, but they never made it far. Hockey players were always trained to be humble and boring. GM's and scouts looked for those who didn't cause drama. Hockey was a team sport and had no place for delicate male egos. Xavier knew it first hand. When he had first entered the league, he thought himself better than everyone else—and he had been. But then his captain gave him some advice that suck through until his draft day. Be humble and let the work on the ice doing the talking.

"I'm going to give you some advice kid," Xavier began but before he could finish, Coach Reed entered the room.

"Boys get ready, media's coming into the room."

Some of his teammates groaned but Xavier got up and place a towel over his head. As team captain, it was his duty to report to the media. He didn't like it, but it was just something he had to do.

--------------

Xavier left the locker room frustrated. He had been in a decent mood until Dexter destroyed everything. He knew Rosaura was attractive but to have Dexter objectify her body was disgusting.

Jett swung an arm over his shoulder, "the boys are all going to Gordon's house, want to come?"

Xavier wasn't in the mood to party but curiously got the better of him, "Is everyone coming?"

Understanding the underlying meaning behind his words Jett winced. "Sorry man, coach told us to invite Dexter and make him feel like a part of the team. Gordon invited him a couple of days ago it would be rude now—"

Xavier cut him off. "It's fine," he replied. Although it really wasn't fine. "I wasn't in the mood to party anyways." That at least was the truth.

Jett gave him a hopeful smile. "If your mind changes, just drop by anytime."

Xavier nodded and watched him go. Hanging out with the boys was something he liked doing. It bought them closer and he felt as though he could discus whatever he wanted. It was annoying that Dexter was destroying that as well. Suddenly, Xavier felt empty and alone. He didn't want to go back to his dark apartment and so he called Rosaura. Surely, she would help brighten his mood.

Over the last couple of weeks, he and Rosaura hung out every time they got. He knew starting December, they would both be busy and so the few moments they shared were extra special. It felt different from any other relationship he had been in. For starters, he and Rosaura understood when the other couldn't meet. They were both ambitions and so whenever he talked about hockey and the dream he was chasing. 

He didn't feel alone. To some degree, Rosaura understood because she was chasing her own dream. They were also moments in which they explored different healthy recipes in order to improve their fitness. That had been one of Xavier's favourite moments as it had been a new experience—but one that he really like.

He frowned as she didn't pick up the phone on the fourth ring. To Xavier's knowledge, he knew that she didn't have practice today, so why wasn't she picking up?

Before Xavier could think more on the matter, he got a text from Val.

Val: I'm bored, want to come over?

Xavier texted back, yeah sure I'll be there in a couple of minutes.

Val's apartment was extremely close to the London Knights arena to the point where Xavier had considered moving to his building. However, he didn't like the view it provided with his north facing windows.

Xavier had also gotten to know Val better. The Russian skater, he learned was hilarious. The two often hung out whenever they had time and as much as Xavier treasured his time with Rosaura, he was also beginning to treasure his time with Val.

Keeping true to his word, Xavier was knocking on Val's door a couple of minutes later.

"Hey dude," Val commented before letting him in.

Xavier nodded. He wasn't in the mood for talking. Val sensing this, pointed towards his PS4, "want to play a game of NHL17?"

Xavier's mood immediately lightened as he grabbed a spot on the couch.

"Don't get too cocky," Val said with a smile. "You may be a hockey player in real life, but I'm a gamer."

Xavier cocked an eyebrow in his direction, "want to bet Semenov?"

"Fifty bucks says that I'll defeat you in the first round." Val said confidently.

Xavier shook his hand. "You're on."

--------------

Bonding time with Val and Xavier! We are getting close to the end. Only about 7 chapters left. Please share the story with others if you are enjoying it!