T E N | P A T T E R N D A N C E

Pattern dance: Formerly called the compulsory dance. All ice dancing couples are required to do the same standardized steps and holds to a specific tempo and genre of music.

Rosaura walked through the bustling city of downtown. Even though she was living in London (Ontario) for a few weeks now, she was unable to visit the heart of the city. So, this morning Rosaura decided to explore the place a bit more. It was getting chillier as the temperatures dropped in early November, and Rosaura was glad she had layered up as much as she could.

She passed by an antique shop, enthralled by the little items on display. She never had the chance to see historical items passed down from generations as when her grandparents moved to Canada, they left most of their stuff behind in Japan.

Before she could walk into the shop, she heard her name being called. She turned around to see that it was Xavier who was waving towards her. She was unware if she should approach him but before she could decide, he started walking towards her.

His cheeks were slightly flushed red from the cold and he was wearing a long black coat with a checkered scarf. He was slightly out of breath and it was clear that he had been following her for a while.

"It's funny how we always run into each other." He said after a moment.

Rosaura smile slightly. It was kind of funny. They saw each other at his parent's house, the gym and now downtown London as well. It would have been okay if London was a small town, but it was a medium sized city.

"Maybe it's fate." Rosaura said.

Xavier snorted. "Don't tell me you believe in that stuff."

Rosaura was personally offended. She did believe in fate. After all, that is what led her parents to meet and marry. She wasn't an idiot to leave everything in the hands of fate, but she did trust it with some matters. "Xavier Hommes, do not make fun of me."

He cracked a laugh and Rosaura momentarily paused to look at him. He was quite beautiful. Not in the traditional way that appealed to most women, but in a way, that said beauty was not all he had in his arsenal.

"What are you doing in downtown on this very fine morning?" he asked her mockingly. They both knew it wasn't a fine morning.

"I was exploring." She replied with a smile. "And you?"

He held up a gift bag she hadn't seen before. "I was buying a gift for my Abuela. She's returning from Mexico after a couple of months, so I want to give her something nice."

Rosaura thought that was the sweetest thing she had ever heard. However, she refrained from telling Xavier that. Prior experience with Val had taught her not make a big deal of certain actions men took, lest they get all embarrassed.

"That's nice of you." she commented casually even though her heart was beating rapidly.

He gave her another smile that had Rosaura seeing stars. It was foolish how attracted Rosaura was to this man. At first, she had thought it was only a physical attraction, but she began to see his little quips and kindness and she couldn't help but like him even more.

"There is a café down the street, do you want to have a quick coffee with me?" Xavier suggested lightly, but there was a hopefulness in his eyes she simply could not ignored.

"I'd love to." She replied softly.

The two of the walked down the streets of downtown London close enough that occasionally, their hands brushed together. Rosaura wanted to elope his hand with hers, but she wasn't sure how he would take it and, so she remained at a safe distance.

They were about to reach the café when a voice called out Xavier's name making them both turn around. A little boy, no older than nine ran up to Xavier with a huge grin on his face.

"Are you Xavier Hommes?" he asked.

Xavier nodded. "Well, yes I am."

The boy's eyes widened even further. "Can I have your autograph?"

Xavier threw Rosaura an apologetic smile, but she shrugged it away. She wasn't annoyed but merely amused. Xavier didn't have a pen for signing so he turned to Rosaura. She dug into her bag and produced a black sharpie.

"Thanks," he said as his fingers grasped onto hers longer than necessary.

"No, problem. Better get back to our fan." She said with a teasing tone.

Xavier rolled his eyes but listened to what the boy was saying. The boy asked him to sign a ratty piece of paper, but Xavier did so with a smile. Seconds later, a blonde woman came rushing behind him. Rosaura assumed that was his mother.

Xavier and she exchanged a few polite sentences before she dragged her son away. Rosaura watched the scene with a smile.

"I'm sorry about that." Xavier said turning towards Rosaura.

"Nothing to apologize about. I understand."

Xavier gave her a grin that had her heart lurching. "I'm sure you do Ms. Famous ice dancer."

Rosaura playfully brushed his shoulders before realizing what she had done. When had she become so comfortable with Xavier? She supposed he had that presence, one that calmed her.

"Are we going in or not?" she asked trying to change the subject.

He held the door open with a teasing glint in his eyes. "After you, my ice queen."

Rosaura laughed before entering the café. Immediately her nostrils were filled with the aroma of coffee. Although she loved the smell, she hated the dark substance. So, when Xavier asked her for her order she told him to get her a hot chocolate. With both their drinks, they settled down in the corner of the café.

"So, anything exciting happening?" she asked him as she blew lightly onto the hot chocolate.

His eyes lit up and Rosaura immediately knew he had a good story to tell. "I got invited to the world juniors training camp."

Rosaura's lips turned upright. "That's wonderful news! I'm so excited for you."

She didn't say anything else because it was clear he was dying to tell her more. "It's not the final roster, and I might get cut but its a chance to prove myself to everyone."

Rosaura understood what he meant. She and Val often had to stop themselves for getting too ahead. The didn't know what the future held for them, only that they would work as hard as they could to achieve their dreams.

Rosaura took a sip of her hot chocolate and stared outside. She could see a group of children in hockey jerseys talking animatedly.

"Doesn't it feel surreal to be able to inspire children?' she asked Xavier out of the blue.

It was a question she often asked her self. To what level did she play a role in the lives of these young children?

Xavier looked a bit taken aback by her question, but he smiled. "Yes, it seems insane. Some children might be having the crappiest day ever, but sometimes seeing someone they look up to can be the catalyst for change."

An idea lit up in Rosaura's brain—one that she had been pushing around for quite some while now. "Would you be interested in doing a charity event with me?" she asked.

Xavier cocked his eyebrows. "I'm listening." He replied.

----------------

Sorry I forgot to update last week(blame the midterm).  Who's excited to see more Xavier and Rosaura scenes?