S I X T E E N | F R E E D A N C E

Free Dance: Second part of an ice dancing competition. Partners are able to choose their music but still have to include certain elements. 

Rosaura was extremely jittery beside Xavier. She was skipping from one foot to the other all while tugging on the drawstrings of her hoodie.

Xavier touched her arm lightly, "Relax, will you."

She didn't. "I'm just so nervous, what if people don't show up?"

Before Xavier could reply, Val came around the corner. "You guys won't believe the line up. It's almost around the corner. We might have to limit the amount of people allowed inside."

Xavier cocked an eyebrow towards Rosaura, indicating that he had been right all along.

"Fine, I'll take a deep breath." Rosaura said with a nervous smile.

Xavier kissed her temple lightly. "I have to go put on my gear, but I'll be right back."

Rosaura nodded absentmindedly but her focus was mostly on the ice. She had put a lot of effort into tonight's event and she just wanted it to go smoothly without a hitch. But most of all, she wanted the kids to have fun.

"How are things going between you two?" Val asked from beside her.

Even without mentioning his name, Rosaura knew who he was talking about, "things are good."

Val snorted. "I've known you for ten years, is this all I'm going to get?"

Rosaura knew Val was trying to calm her nerves and so she sat beside her. "I really like him," she confessed, "We haven't known each other long enough, but he's also an athlete so he understands my life a lot more than anyone else would."

Val smiled back at her. "That's good, I'm happy for you, but if he ever hurts you, just let me know and I'll take care of him."

Rosaura laughed. "That's sweet Val but I'm pretty sure he has a few pounds on you."

Val gave her a mischievous smile, "Fighting doesn't always have to be done fairly and I have Russian blood in me."

Before she could reply, Brea stormed in, wearing dark jeans and a cute oversized sweater. When Rosaura first brought up the idea to Brea, she had been thrilled and ever since then, taken central part in planning it alongside her.

"They've started letting people in," she said in a way of greeting.

"Good morning to you too," Val said sarcastically.

She ignored him. "Can you check if the hockey players are ready to go?"

Rosaura got up, but Brea frowned. "On second thought, I'll go check up on them. You make sure that everyone is in position."

Rosaura nodded. She didn't take Brea's bossiness personally. It was just a part of her personality. Rosaura had to focus on her own performance and so she was grateful that a huge part of the event was in Brea's capable hands. She walked up to the D.J booth to make sure everything was running. Xavier had persuaded one of the hockey players to take over the role of D.J and he had done so willingly.

The stands were beginning to fill up and Rosaura decided it was time for her to get ready as well. She was already wearing her costume but needed to tie her laces. She entered the dressing room and minutes later, Val joined her. The two of them briefly stretched before lacing up their skates.

"I'm a bit terrified," Val admitted.

Rosaura's eyebrows rose up. "Why?"

"Well it's the first time we are preforming our routine after we made many changes. I'm hoping the crowd will like it."