T H R E E | H A T T R I C K

Hat Trick: In hockey, When a single player scores three goals in a game.

It had become an odd habit for Xavier. After every practice, if he saw the ice dancing couple, he would stay behind and watch them as they skated along the ice. He had seen the black-haired woman staring at him a couple of times, but she had ignored him for the most part. Xavier wanted to introduce himself, but he was a bit scared if he was being honest. Though the couple joked around with one another, they seemed ice cold to the rest of the world.

Xavier had not missed the curious gazes of his other teammates as well. He found almost everyone staying longer than usual and it was up to Xavier to finally kicked them out. Xavier watched from high above the stands as another woman joined them this time. He could only assume that she was another coach. What did surprise him however was the fact that she spotted him minutes after coming into the arena. She beckoned her finger, calling him to come forward.

Sheepishly, Xavier made his way down the bleaches. It was weird, he felt like a small child about to be scolded which was ridiculous. He was eighteen, not a kid sneaking around and getting in trouble. Nervously, he combed his fingers through his chestnut hair as the couple on the ice stopped dancing and watched him approach instead.

"You boy, are you a spy?" she asked.

Xavier was quite taken back by her attitude. He was unsure of what to say and helplessly turned towards the raven-haired dancer.

Her face was tinted pink and Xavier wasn't sure if it was due to embarrassment or from the excursion of figure skating. "Laura, he's not a spy. If I'm not mistaken, he's one of the hockey players."

Xavier nodded and extended his hand, "I'm Xavier Homes, nice to meet you."

Recognition lit the coaches' eyes before they narrowed once more. "I've heard your name before but what on heaven's name do you think your doing watching Rosaura and Val's practice?"

Ah, she that was her name. Rosaura. He had to admit, it was beautiful name and one that he had not heard before. Now he needed an excuse for watching the couple.

Thinking quickly on his feet, he responded with a smooth lie. "I was waiting for my ride, so I decided to get some shut-eye on the bleachers."

He heard the guy—Val, snort. Xavier winced. Val had seen him get into a vehicle and drive away last practice. Choosing another tactic, Xavier met Val's blue eyes and dared him to say something else. Val's eyebrows rose and gave him a knowing look, but he kept his mouth shut.

"Well then, I can't really fault you for that, can I?" The woman said.

The other coach sighed, "Laura, leave the poor boy alone. We are losing time as it is. Let him leave and do his thing."

Laura looked as though she wanted to say more but Rosaura gently touched her shoulders and shook her head. Instead, she waved her hands in dismissal. "Fine, boy you can leave."

Xavier was a bit amused at him being able to tell her where to go and what to do but nevertheless, he gave the group another apologetic smile before turning away to grab his hockey equipment. He could feel their gazes on his back even as he left the arena. Xavier dumped his equipment into the back of his truck and that's when his phone rang.

He picked up to hear the sound of Jett's voice on the line. "Are you doing anything tonight?"

"Nah man, I was just thinking about chilling and watching a couple of NHL games or going home to visit my family."

"You didn't make a promise, did you?" Jett asked.

Xavier turned the key into the ignition. "Nope, I was hoping to surprise them."

"Well, is there anyway you can visit them on Saturday after the game?"

"I guess I could, but what's in it for me?"

He could almost hear the smile in Jett's voice. "There's a party at Western. One of the rich kids is holding it at his house..."

Xavier snorted. The closest university to the team's arena was Western University and it was known for its legendary parties. He also knew that Jett would be thought of as too young based on his physique which is why he wanted Xavier to tag along.

"There will be hot girls..." Jett continued to try and bribe him.

Xavier sighed. "That's not helping your case man. It's draft year and I don't have time for girls."

"Fine, I'll buy you pizza after our next away game."

Xavier smiled.  Checkmate. He had gotten Jett exactly where he wanted him. "I'll pick you up at eight."

"It's a date." Jett mocked him before hanging up.

Xavier laughed as he drove away from the rink. Jett was right, it really was a date.

---------------

This is a shorter chapter but updates happen every Friday! What do you think about the story so far? Share your thoughts below!