Chapter Eighteen ~ In Flames

"Enjoy yourself tonight, Death? Or is it Peyton?" A deep, chilling voice said from behind Death. I gripped the door handle and pushed myself up from my seat, standing up and exiting the car.

As soon as I saw who it was I felt sick to my stomach with disgust and anger. I could never forget those pitiless eyes. Dressed in a black suit, Lucifer stood still, engulfed by bright red flames. Even though I couldn't tell I swear he was looking me over, a grin was plastered to his face.

Death wasn't blocking me which made me more nervous. He stood by my side, pale and his hair and eyes blazing blue, holding my left hand in his right.

"You just can't stay away." Death said, his voice full of disgust. His fingers slipped in between mine, his hand cool to the touch. Lucifer twitched a bit, shoving his hands into his pants’ pockets as he walked a few feet closer.

"Well, I can't just miss a party," He smiled, laughing like a maniac. "There's not much of one without me..." He trailed off, chuckling. Slowly, he changed shape; his skin lightened, flames died, hair grew, his body shrunk.

Clark.

He was Clark.

Oh my god.

"You son of a bi-" Death managed to spit out before I squeezed his hand and pulled him back. He immediately looked at me, his skin clear. I shook my head.

"Don't," I patted his arm. "Let's just leave. Please?" I pleaded, my body shaking a bit. He stared at me, his nostrils flaring. His eyed were black as coal, smoldering. Our gazes locked, I watched as they changed from black to brown to blue. We silently walked back to the car.

Lucifer continued to watch, his fists clenched and flames intensifying.

"You can't escape, Cara," He said suavely. His voice was cold and full of venom. "You're trapped. There's no way out."

What the hell is he talking about? Trapped? What can't I escape?

"Step on it." I ordered Death as we slammed the car doors. Within seconds, we were speeding away. Through my rear view mirror I saw Lucifer walk into the middle of the street. He was blazing, flames dropping from his hands to the asphalt like rain.

Shutting my eyes, I gripped the arms of my car seat and started to pray aloud. Death kept silent. I knew he was listening because I felt his right hand cover my left.

"Why does he keep appearing?" I asked softly. Finally, I opened my eyes and looked at Death. He was watching the road, driving quietly, focused on the traffic.

"He wants revenge," Death said through barred teeth. “I won't let him hurt you, Cara. I'll protect you-"

"What did he mean by trapped?" I asked, my heart racing. He finally looked at me. His eyes were glassy, rich brown. He looked exhausted and tired.

Tortured.

"He's trying to get into your head," He said, shaking his head. "He said that to get to you. Literally."

"What do you mean?"

"You're innocent, pure... The contract, the one you signed, removed all the bad. It purified you."

"What does that have to do with what he said?" Confused, I questioned him again.

"A lot." He removed his hand from mine and wiped his forehand with the back of it. He didn't look good.

"Pull over," I ordered, reaching for his shoulder. He tried to shake my hand off but I gripped tighter. "Now." He didn't listen.

"I said pull over!" I screamed. Flashing me a shocked, hurt look, Death eyed me for a second before slowing the car down and parking to the side of a lonely block. I never noticed how dark the night was until then. Not a cloud in sight, the sky was pitch black.