Chapter Thirteen ~ Closer than Friends

Waking up, the pungent smell of burning coffee filled my nostrils.

"Coffee?" I asked as I tried to rise up from whatever I was laying on. As soon as I did I felt my back and legs ache in agonizing pain. I cussed under my breath, not caring if anyone else was around.

I kicked off a blanket from on top of my legs and looked about the room. I was in the living room. My living room... How did I get home?

I went to the beach and- and- I can't remember anything... Why can't I remember anything?

Staring around, I looked out the windows. The sun was gleaming into the room, casting long shadows across the floor. The window was open a crack. Cool air blew in whipping the lace curtains like balloons lost in the wind.  Out of the corner of my eye I noticed someone sitting on the armchair, watching me.

It was Gabriel.

"Hey." I greeted awkwardly.

"Hey," He paused. "You hungry?" My stomach rumbled softly making me blush. I nodded and watched as he stood up, walked around the couch, and headed to the kitchen. Mom's voice echoed from inside. They spoke for a few seconds before I heard the clatter of silverware.

When he entered the room he placed a tray of food on the table. Crispy, delicious bacon, fluffy scrambled eggs, and two petite pancakes rested on a plate, a fork and knife crossed the plate. The only thing missing was a cup of coffee, but I wasn't going to ask for any. Gabriel sat back down in his seat and watched me devour the food curiously. Feeling selfish, I decided to offer him a slice of bacon.

"Bacon?" Politely, he nodded, grabbing the bacon from me. He examined it, like it was something completely foreign to him, before ate a bite. It took a few seconds to get a reaction from him.

He smiled and ate the rest of the slice quickly, breaking it into bits and popping them into his mouth.

"How'd you know where I lived?" I asked. He finished the bacon and looked straight at me, our gazes connected.

"Karma led me here," He answered honestly. He placed his hands on his lap and leaned forward. "You feel good?"

Karma and him know each other... Wait, didn't she mention something about him? About being a guardian? Mason's guardian.

"My back's sore," I answered. He was about to get up, but I waved for him to sit down. "Other than that, I'm fine."

"Oh... Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Are you friends with Death?" He asked as he looked away from me and over my shoulder for a split second.

"Yeah, but it's complicated." I answered back. He looked down at his hands on his lap and sighed. There was this lost look in his eyes that made him look so much older. When he looked back at me the look vanished.

"Are you really an angel?"

"No," Casually, he stood up and walked over to the window, moving the lace curtains away, and looked outside. "I'm a guardian angel."

"So you're not angel?" I asked again, confused. He looked back at me and smirked.

"No. See, angels can't be touch or be seen by humans. Guardians can." He explained. Remembering my food, I stabbed a cluster of eggs and ate it, slowly chewing. I'm curious now.

"Oh... Do you have wings?" I asked. He smiled and nodded. Just as I was about to ask him more my mom entered the room. She was carrying a cup of coffee.