Chapter Seventeen ~ Last Dance

"Prom? Seriously? How could you forget?" Marisa asked, eyes wide. Tyler watched us in shock.

How could I forget about prom?

"You know my memory sucks. Besides," I picked up a cookie from the tray in the middle of the table and dunked it into my cup of coffee. "I don't want to go."

"Well, you're going whether you want to or not." Marisa folded her arms across her chest, smirking.

"Whatever." I shoved the cookie into my mouth and rolled my eyes, frustrated by her persistence.

"You're gonna have fun, trust me," Marisa continued. "We're gonna dance with cute guys all night and take thousands of photos. It's gonna be awesome."

"And I'm gonna wear a suit." Tyler said with a smile. That made me laugh.

"You? In a suit? Now I have to see that," I said after chewing my cookie. "Crap, I don't have a dress to wear."

"Don't worry. We'll go shopping! I'll help you pick out one that flatters you're curves and makes your eyes pop," Marisa piped excitedly as she looked through her purse. She pulled out her iPhone to check the time. "Shit, I've gotta go. Party to crash. You wanna come with?"

"No, I've got some work to finish," Lying casually, I nodded no. Tyler and Marisa rose from their chairs together. I stood up and gave them hugs. "Another time. I promise."

"Okie dokey, artichokie. Bye Michelle!" Marisa called to my mom as she dragged Tyler out. I followed them so that I could lock the door.

"Bye!" My mom called from upstairs. Being the overly paranoid person I am I locked the front door before heading upstairs.

"Mom?" I called as I climbed the stairs. At the top step stood my mom holding a dress bag from a hanger.

"I've got something to show you." She nodded for me to follow her. We went into her bedroom, carrying the dress bag in her arms.

She unzipped it and gently placed a dress on the bed. It was a beautiful sleeveless lace dress with a flower cutout pattern and a lace choker. Vintage yet modern in a chic way.

"I know how much you love lace. When I saw this on display I knew you'd look beautiful in it. It's the perfect dress to trend for prom."

"Wait, this is for me?" Overwhelmed, I waited for my mom to answer. With a quick nod, she smiled and I attacked her with a hug.

"Thank you so much mom! I love it!" I squealed, kissing her on the cheek. She laughed and hugged me back.

I couldn't wait for prom.

I told Marisa about my mom getting me a dress and she freaked out. She kept asking me what it looked like and if she could see me try it on. She asked like a thousand times. I told her to wait for prom night. She could wait.

Those were the longest five days of my life.

When the evening came, I decided to curl my hair so that it would be wavy. After an hour and a half of prepping my hair, I slipped on the dress and applied a little makeup. I figured mascara, foundation and a soft red lipstick would complement my dress. When I looked in the mirror, I nearly fainted. I looked so pretty.

When mom saw me she started crying.

"Mom," My eyes started to tear. I had to fight back tears. "You're gonna make me cry."

"I can't help it. You look so beautiful. My baby's all grown up." She grabbed a tissue. Before a tear could smudge my makeup my mom caught it with a tissue. She looked so happy. I can't remember the last time her eyes sparkled that bright, her smile that brilliant.