Chapter Sixteen ~ Cruel Intentions

I don't remember falling asleep, but I definitely wasn't awake. All I remember was shutting my eyes as I burrowed my head in my arms.

I couldn't see a thing. The lights were out except for one in the distance. It wasn't very strong, but it was bright enough for me to see from where I was. Since everything was black I headed towards the light.

It started to get brighter and brighter as I got closer. Still, I couldn't make out anything. My feet seemed to fade away with the dark, like I was disappearing with the black. Panicking, I began to run towards the light.

The light started to lighten, getting weaker, smaller, and fast. My feet just couldn't run fast enough. My feet were air-born, striding across the black abyss for a safe haven.

I was so close to reaching the light. So damn close the golden rays shined across my fingers. My hand glowed in the dark.

Suddenly the ground shifted. As if the ground had caved, I was swallowed by air. Falling, I reached up for something to grab only to realize there wasn't anything. My body descended into the black pit while I shouted out of fear.

The light disappeared above me, taunting me. Soon it disappeared with my hope. I was trapped, falling for my life.

So this is how Alice felt when she fell down the rabbit hole.

I'd never been so scared in my life.

"Cara," My mom's voice echoed through my ears. I thought I was just hearing things, but I felt something touch me. "Honey, wake up!"

Suddenly, my eyes opened. Above me, my mom was looking over me, shaking my shoulders gently. She looked frightened. I pushed myself up, grabbing her close to me.

"Mom," I stuttered, pressing my head gently on her stomach. "You're real."

"Well, course I'm real," She said as she patted my head. She pulled away from me before bringing her hands to my cheeks. Wiping my face gently, she asked, "Why? What did you dream of?"

I ignored her question, pulling her closer to me.

"Nothing." I lied keeping my voice low. I could tell my mom wasn't buying it, but she didn't question me further. Instead, she kissed my forehead and hugged me.

"Marisa called," Mom randomly said. I looked up at her. "She and Tyler are gonna come over later. You should wash up."

"Mom-"

"Cara," She gave me puppy eyes, instantly making me feel guilty. "Please, just wash up and get dressed. They'll be over soon. You don't want to scare them away, do you?"

"Do I look that bad?" I asked, running my hands through my hair. She chuckled and kissed my forehead before leaving me to myself.

I took a cold shower and combed my hair. For the first time in months I applied foundation to make me look tanner. Seriously, my skin was paper white. No matter how much sun I take I turn whiter. I squirted a few eye drops in my eyes to help rid the red from them.

As I looked over myself I gasped, feeling sad. I touched my reflection, soaking in how much I’ve changed.

I had this overwhelming desire to smash the mirror, to destroy that frightened, wide-eyed girl staring at me, scared of herself. It was so bizarre. I’m not Cara anymore, I thought. I hate myself. The me that used to laugh at every dumb joke, smile whenever possible and wouldn't think about tomorrow... She's trapped. She was a fool. If it wasn’t for her I wouldn’t be this damn miserable.