Chapter Twenty ~ Disappear

Just as I pushed the knife into my stomach I felt someone grab my wrist. I couldn't see who it was, but I could hear them loud and clear.

"No!" A voice pleaded, full of guilt. Their hand shook my wrist frantically, squeezing it so hard I thought it would snap. My arm started to freeze.

"Let go of me!" I screamed, not caring anymore. The knife slipped out of my hand and fell to the floor. I felt my face freeze up.

"Cara, wake up!" Death screamed, my eyesight blinded by darkness.

Wake up?

"Open your eyes." He demanded. I felt for my face and touched over my eyes, rubbing them open. Death was in front of me, his hands on my cheeks. Snow white and black eyed, his eyes were glassy and wide. Immediately looking down at the floor, I saw the knife covered in blood. My hand was covered in blood.

"What happened?" He asked, shaking me. I tried to push him away, but his grip on my wrist tightened.

"Leave me alone!"

"Cara, what did you see?"

"Just go away!" I screamed again, this time I was able to escape his grasp. I bent over and tried to grab the knife. Before my hand touched the handle it flew across the room and into the wall.

"Did you hear a voice?" He questioned, walking closer to me. I backed away, my head spinning. Afraid, I nodded as I looked around my room. "What did it say? Tell me."

"You keep away from me," I ordered, courage rising within me. "Or I'll kill myself. I will!"

"Cara, please-" He tried to get closer, but I ran around him and for my bedroom window. Opening it, I pushed it up and began to climb out.

"Leave me alone!"

He froze in place, his body rigid. His face was unreadable. His hands were balled in fist dangling at his sides. Just as I was about to climb out onto the windowsill I felt a hand grab hold of my leg and pull me into my room. The next thing I know I'm lying on my bed, staring up at Death hovering horizontally above me.

"You can't die, Cara," He whispered. "I won't let you."

"Do you own my soul?" Tears came to to my eyes. He stared down at me, his black eyes changed to blue. His skin stayed pale.

"Answer me." 

My heart was pounding. 

I needed to hear the truth. I needed to know if that voice was true. He looked away and stared at my desk.

"Yes," He answered finally. My eyes began to tear. I shut my eyes and forced myself to look away from him. "I can explain-"

"Don't."

"For millions of years I have roamed this world alone. I've never been able to live. I- I never meant for any of this to happen. I was selfish-"

"Shut up!" I screamed.

"Cara, I'm gonna fix all of this. You just have to trust me," He said, his voice growing louder and louder. I could feel him right above me. He was freezing. "Look at me."

"No." Even when I refused I felt his hands touch my face and force me to look up at him. My eyes opened to gaze up into his dark blue orbs.

"Can you forgive me?" He asked, keeping his voice low to a whisper. I wanted to nod no, but his puppy eyes made my stomach do summersaults.

"The damage is done." I simply commented. He nodded grimly, looking over me. Without a word more, he drifted closer to me, levitating an inch or so above.

Lifting my head, he brought it close to him, raising me gently. It was like I was floating. He leaned his head closer to mine. A tear formed in his right eye and trailed down his cheek. In slow motion, he shut his eyes, took a deep breathe, and gently pressed his lips against mine.

I wanted to fight him off, to push him away, when I felt something weird. My lips shivered against his. He deepened the kiss, softly pressing his lips against mine. My heart stopped pounding, slowing down, and my tears iced over.

My body felt light as air.

It was... Beautiful.

While it lasted.

My eyes started to flutter shut. I suddenly felt tired and weak. My body started to numb. My feet were the first to go. Then the rest of my body numbed. Within seconds I'd lost all feeling.

My eyes shut.

I felt something wet on my cheek.

"Goodbye, Cara." Death whispered before his lips brushed my cheek. I tried to shake my head, confused by his words, but my body shut down.

Everything disappeared.