Chapter 24

Edited by : Debbi_theChocEditor

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anna

I watched Vanessa sleeping quietly on my bed. I wish she wouldn’t have to grow up as a rogue, which was no way for my baby girl to live. She should grow up in the safety of a pack not exiled by one. It made me sad that I couldn’t make her life better.

Suddenly I heard a sound coming from the room beside mine. I checked to make sure Vanessa was still sleeping before I left the room to check what the noise was. When I entered the other room I saw a man positioned in the closet doorway. He didn’t look familiar but I swallowed my pride and addressed him; “Excuse me, may I help you with something?”

I watched as the man jumped and turned around obviously thinking he was alone. He was a very handsome lad; light brown hair that almost looked a dirty blonde (probably lightened from the sun) and his blue eyes that reminded me of a storm. And although I had clearly asked him a question, his reply was simply, “What?”

I rolled my eyes, “I said, ‘Can I help you?’”

 He seemed to think things over for a minute before saying, “Can you lead me to Than or Callie?”

 “Why do you want to see them?” I asked suspiciously.

 “Queen Emmaline’s orders.”

My eyes widened and I was at a loss of words. Queen Emmaline? Why does the Queen want to see Than and Callie? How does the Queen know either of them? Okay so maybe Than is the main offence when we attacked the castle but how did Callie have anything to do with this?

The more I thought about it, the more I started to question Callie. She arrived with Than right after we attacked the castle, which means she must have been at the castle at the time of the attack. Yet she wasn’t one of our rogues. Could she have been a prisoner? Maybe even a servant?

“I understand the reasoning behind why her Highness would want to see Than, but I am puzzled at how Callie is involved.” The man seemed nice enough that he might give me some answers.

The man closed his eyes. He stayed like that for maybe five minutes before he opened his eyes once more. “My orders have changed, I no longer need to find either of the two but I need to collect all of the rogues to bring back to the castle.”

I eyed him suspiciously, “What for?” Are they going to punish us for the attack?

He sighed, “I can see you don’t trust me much and I don’t blame you but maybe I can earn a bit of it.”

I stayed quiet so he continued. “My name is Dexter, Royal guard and also best friend with the soon to be Supernatural Queen, Callie. Today is Callie’s eighteenth birthday meaning she can officially take over as Queen.”