Chapter 22

Dedicated to AnubisLuver

_-_-_-_

Oden

Poor girl, I thought as I watched Callie talking to some of the rogues. I knew that today was her birthday; I don’t forget people’s birthdays. But today was not just her normal birthday but it’s her eighteenth. And for a Queen – or anyone of Supernatural royalty – the eighteenth birthday is the most important and most dangerous.

The Supernatural Queen needs to have the blood of every Supernatural species to be able to treat all of them equally. Callie right now has a small amount of each meaning that she has a limited amount of all their powers. Now that she turned eighteen, she will slowly start to gain more and more of those powers. That is why the Final Ceremony is always held immediately after the birthday, they need to bind the blood and powers.

Without being bound by the Final Ceremony, she won’t be able to control her powers; they will start to tear her apart. It is a slow process of course but it will happen. That’s why I’m so against Than keeping Callie here. She needs to get her powers under control and Than is still being his idiot self.

Sure, I am just an old woman and a human nevertheless, but I rose Than like he was my own son. He is not perfect – far from it actually – but he is not a failure either. The only thing that sets Than back is admitting he was wrong or that he made a bad choice. He knew Callie was turning eighteen soon, mind you he is absolutely horrid at remembering dates but he still knew. He knew and yet he still took her to the rogues. I knew that him and Callie had some sort of relationship together in the past but even I knew they weren’t meant to be. Werewolves had mates and they weren’t paired up by fate..

I knew Callie had found her mate since the moment I first saw her enter her bedroom when Than and I had been inside. Her overall aura had changed; it had been more alive. And even if she herself didn’t yet realize it, it changed for the better. I was dearly hoping that she would knock some sense into Than know that she had found what I had learned to be her soul mate.

I watched as Callie excused herself from the people she was currently with and walked over to me and sat down.

“Hey, Oden.” Callie smiled.

“Hello child,” I greeted. “Happy birthday.”

“W-what?” Callie looked startled.

“Don’t worry dear, I never forget a birthday. Although Than on the other hand . . .”

Callie looked slightly relieved but still on edge. She nodded.

I wasn’t sure how I was going to explain what would happen, but she needed to know so that she had to be cautious about her actions until the Final Ceremony comes around. “Callie, now that you’re eighteen, there is some very important thing you need to know about your powers.”

_-_-_-_