FAQ

NEW 

How do I contact you privately without the direct message feature?

If you have a question that you'd prefer not to post publically, you can reach out to me on Discord (SarahParadis). You'll find the link to our club discord on our profile. If you do not want to use Discord, you can send a message to Flexiblebookexchange (at) gmail.com. Please send me a little Wattpad nudge like 'Hey I sent you club message via e-mail' as I don't check that inbox as much as I should if you choose to message me that way. 

If you do not want to connect via discord or share your e-mail address, I have also created this Google form. Again, I will need a short nudge on our profile or in the comments here to notify me so I can answer you in a timely manner :) See the inline comment for the link.

You are more than welcome to continue to post questions in the comments or on our wall. 

1) How long do my comments have to be?

For Light and Fun: 5+ inlines per chapter and they should add up to  30+ words. Shorter reactions and/or emojis are accepted too as long as they meet the length requirements.

For Moderate:7+ lines on PC or 13+ lines on mobile of quality feedback per chapter. See the comment guidelines page for more information.

2) How many requests can I send in a month?

All new members are limited to two open/incomplete requests at one time. However, once you complete a request, you get that open request spot right back and can send out another at any time. So as long as you never go over 2 incomplete requests at a time, there's no limit to how many requests you can complete throughout the month. Our record number of chapters exchanged in one month is 50, but take the exchange at whatever pace works best for you. Some participants will do 3 or 5 chapters in a month and that's fine too.

3) My partner has much longer/shorter chapters than I do. Do we have to exchange the same number of chapters?

This is at your discretion. You can negotiate the number of chapters in your request or suggest something that you feel is fair based on word count or the wattpad 'reading minutes' on PC. This has been working out well so far. 

4) How many chapters can I exchange at a time?

5 chapters per book. 

The only time we allow people to go over 5 is if you are writing very short chapters. In this case, you may look at the average word count of your partner, multiply by the number of chapters you'd like them to read (max 5), then set that number of chapters. 

I will cap the short chapter exchange at 15 chapters per exchange.

5) Do the author's notes and introduction chapters count toward the chapters I need to read?

Generally, we do not count prefaces, author's notes, cast lists, playlists, aesthetics, and introduction chapters as part of the exchange because they do not contain story content. 

We count longer prologues or content that the author has specifically asked you to comment on. If you're in doubt about whether a prologue counts or not, ask the author what they'd like you to read. If the reading time is under 3 minutes, we recommend not counting it as a chapter.

6) How do I change the book I've featured in the club? 

At the end of each month, I'll post a sign-up chapter. At this point, you may choose to switch books for the month to come, modify the description of your books, chapter count etc. For a new book, you post a new form in the 'new member/book sign-up' chapter for a new book (no need to complete the quiz again).