Chapter 30: Game Over

"Unfair!" Bodil called. "Biased! I call hacks!"
Ty stared at Bodil blankly. "You're an idiot."
Bodil smiled. "Thank you for noticing! Now, what the hell?"
Ty shrugged, crossing his arms coldly. "I had allies too. That's the hell."
Bodil frowned. "Did they even do anything?" He looked disapprovingly at Jason and Ryan. "If they're supposed to stop the murder and despair, I regret to inform you that you've failed."
He's treating them like pets of some sort, Tyler thought uneasily.
"I knew that Ian was lying," Jason told Bodil. "I knew about the rules, but I left my helmet there. Something was up, and I didn't wanna seem suspicious for refusing to give up my helmet."
Bodil chuckled. "And that helps how?"
"The helmet was a big clue to the mystery. And it wasn't even the murder weapon, the knife was," Jason explained, frowning.
"So what else have you done?" Bodil giggled. "Helped Ian stun poor Jordan in his final moments? Lost your helmet? Have you really been doing anything this whole time, or have you been sitting around this whole time with the satisfaction of being a secret agent? All your friends are dying, but it's okay because you're working for a ghost! Right?"
"You don't know what they've done th-" Ty began, but was cut off by Bodil yet again. "Ah! No interfering, remember?"
"That's not-"
"Ah!"
"S-"
"Ah!"
Ty glared at Bodil. Bodil smiled at Ty.
"Ty's right!" Ryan added. "We've been reporting everything to Ty, who can actually leave this mansion as a ghost. And you know who he's been telling?"
Bodil frowned. "Notch?" Ryan nodded. "Then why hasn't he been doing anything? Haha!"
"Notch has been-" Ty started, but was cut off by Bodil again.
"Ah! Ty, I think it's pretty clear I want you to shut up!"
Ty frowned. "I don't think you'd want to know anyway..."
Tyler was suddenly conscious of how Ty, Bodil and Ryan seemed to be the only ones talking at this trial. Brice, Jerome and Quentin were silent, listening to the conversation while staring at the floor or their desks with confused and frightened faces, and Jason had become quiet too after the harsh things that Bodil said. Yet Tyler didn't feel right breaking in on the current conversation. Not like he knew anything about all this secret agent stuff, anyway.
"So what have you done, Batman?" Bodil turned to Ryan. "Thanks for the batman suit, by the way. Really helped cover up the puncture holes in Ty's dead body."
Ryan glared at Bodil. "I saved Tyler from the trash chute. And like I said, I've been sneaking info to him and Notch."
Bodil laughed. "You've done more bad than good, my friend! If it hadn't been for your suit, how would the wounds in Ty's body have been discovered? He was stabbed by Ant with the stake, you know. The wounds didn't just disappear! If you had seen the wounds, the trial would have been completely different, Tyler probably wouldn't have been executed. So really, you saving him was just damage control, right? Haha!"
Ryan looked uneasy. "That...That's not true..." he retorted, although he looked doubtful.
Bodil chuckled as Ty glanced at both of his secret agents, who seemed to be despairing like the rest of the trial.
"C-Come on! You guys can't possibly-" Ty exclaimed, looking fearfully at Jason and Ryan.
"Ah! In-ter-feeeeer-aaaaance," Bodil said in a singsong voice.
"He's right, though," Jason said, crestfallen eyes in a shroud. "Did we really do that much? What's the point of it all, in the end? Everyone's dead, anyway."
Ty stared at Jason, horrified, but said nothing. He would just be cut off again, and Bodil was actually right about Ty not being allowed to 'interfere'.
"So what if we told Notch stuff about the mansion?" Ryan continued, his dark mask making him seem cold and distant for once. "We don't even know what Notch is planning. What is he gonna do, bring all the dead houseguests back to life? Jason and I are pointless."
Ty helplessly listened in pained silence. Tyler just watched everything, bewildered. Bodil was smugly grinning. Jason and Ryan were starting to despair. Jerome, Quentin and Brice were still silent, obviously running Bodil's 'choices' through their minds, over and over again.
And Tyler...what was he doing? Everyone around him was in despair for sure. Was he, too? He didn't know what it was like to despair. He felt fine...but should he be worrying about it? He should be worrying about the choices...although each choice would guarantee or almost certainly end with him dying. What could he do?
Tyler gazed around at everyone again, and accidentally caught Ty's eye. Ty's attention suddenly focused on him, and searched Tyler's face with an intense expression. Tyler was surprised at this, but kept his gaze.
Ty finally looked Tyler straight in the eye and nodded. Then he looked away.
Tyler blinked in surprise. What was that? Did Ty-
"So, you guys must have had long enough to vote, right?" Bodil asked everyone. "You all seem to be in deep thought about your choices."
Bodil stood up and clapped once excitedly. "Okay, just to review your choices again! Outside, where you face the death and despair-ridden outside world, and I am executed. Inside, where you can continue to stay in this mansion in safety away from the outside world, with the one sacrifice of Tyler. And if the votes aren't unanimous, everyone dies! Got it?"
"Wait."
Everyone looked up in surprise as Tyler spoke out. Even he was caught off guard by his sudden intensity, but part of him was completely calm and collected.
"You all can't listen to him," Tyler said. "He's manipulating all of you, you see? He's just showing you all the cons of your decisions, knowing that Ty can't chip in to show you the pros."
"Hm? What's this?" Bodil asked, leaning forward in his seat as if mildly interested.
Tyler was confident. He knew what he had to do. If each of the five other houseguests were falling into despair...
Tyler went on. "Brice!" He called, turning to face Brice's stand, not too far from his.
Brice looked up warily at the mention of his name.
"You remember the videos Herobrine showed us. The animations that you made. You made them. Don't you want to see what else you've created? Aren't you curious what truly defines you as the Super Minecraft Level Artist? In the outside world, we can find out, together!"
Brice blinked in surprise, his blue eyes wide. "I..." he stuttered. Something flashed in his eyes. A smile formed on his face, now bright and determined like a light bulb turned back on. "I do want to know more about my past, actually. I want to be able to draw, an create...I'm curious about the outside world!"
Tyler grinned, and turned to the next houseguest. "Jerome!"
Jerome didn't even look up.
"Jerome...you of all of us must want to get to the outside world the most, right?" Tyler asked persistently. "We all do, but none of us had as close a friendship as you had with Mitch. Mitch died here, and he wouldn't want you to forget him...but I doubt he'd want you to live in this place forever! You need to escape this place...for Mitch!"
Jerome's eyes widened at the mention of Mitch's name. "Mitch...?" He slowly looked up, and again that something flashed in his dark eyes. "Yeah, that's right...I can't just mope around in this mansion forever, right? Mitch'd want me to live on, want us to live on. And all the dead houseguests. They wouldn't want us to stay here! They'd want us to really live!"
Tyler nodded. He turned to Quentin.
"Quentin...in all these murder cases, you've been great solving the mysteries. You can't just let that go to waste! With your smarts, we can help restore hope to the world. We don't have to stay in this mansion...if we did, we'd be like fish in a tank!"
Quentin blinked in surprise. "Well, I'm not a fish...and you're right-we can't just stay here. If we've survived this mansion, who says we can't survive the outside world?"
Tyler felt a spark of hope, seeing that his friends were starting to listen to him. He looked over at the last two people.
"Jason, Ryan..." He addressed the two despairing 'secret agents'. "Even if you two haven't done much in this mansion, you've done something. Jason, you helped solve our first murder, and avenge Jordan's death. Ryan, you saved my life. And according to Ty, you've been sending information to him for Notch. Maybe Bodil's partly right, but you two want to do better, right? Well, you're not going to get anything done in here!"
Tyler finished his mini speech, and everyone watched as Jason and Ryan looked up with determined grins like everyone else.
"We do want to do better!" Jason exclaimed. "And we can't do that inside this mansion," Ryan added.
Everyone was different now...was this hope? Yes, it must be hope. Tyler had convinced everyone to have hope, and not to despair...and to choose Outside over Inside. Not just to save his life...but because Tyler truly believed that the six of them had a chance in the world awaiting them. Tyler caught Ty's eye and saw that for once he was smiling.
"What are you all happy about?" Bodil asked with a frown. "Happy that Tyler's about to die for your safety? Hahaha! Well, time to vote, then!"
"I choose Outside," Ryan said determinedly.
"Huh?!" Bodil asked, caught off guard for a moment. "Hehe, alright, then. But if anyone votes Inside, it's game over for everyone!"
"I choose Outside," Jason told Bodil.
"What?!" Bodil exclaimed.
"I choose Outside," Quentin said cooly.
"But what about Despair?!" Bodil called.
"I choose Outside," Jerome declared.
"No!" Bodil yelled angrily.
"I choose Outside," Brice said with a smile.
"Uncool!" Bodil cried.
"And I choose Outside," Tyler finished.
"Idiots! Retards! Imbeciles! Bastards!" Bodil wailed multiple curses angrily at everyone, standing up in the throne again.
"Bodil!" Ty said sternly. "You've lost."
The room went silent.
"I...lost?" Bodil echoed in a monotoned voice. He stood still on the throne with his eyes in a shroud. Then, the corners of his mouth twitched up into a smile, and he burst out laughing hysterically in his insane laughter.
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! HAHAHAHAAAA!" He practically screamed.
"What are you laughing about?!" Jerome asked, confused.
"I lost!" Bodil exclaimed "Don't you see? I've never lost before! And now I get to feel the despair of losing!"
"Then do you know what happens now?" Ty asked Bodil.
"Hehe...what?" Bodil chuckled.
Ty fixed Bodil with his ghostly stare. "Punishment."
The wall behind Bodil slid out to reveal a giant slot machine, and everyone watched as all three slots came to a stop on Bodil's face.