Chapter 15: Altered

Tyler gasped. "The paper's gone?"
Jerome eyed him suspiciously. "Sure is. Wanna tell me why you were late?"
Tyler sighed. "I swear, I was with Quentin, Brice, and Ryan inviting everyone to the lounge party tomorrow. We even stopped by your door! Go ask them if you don't believe me."
Jerome tilted his head to the side. "Hm...that's right..."
It was Tyler's turn to act suspicious now. "Do you think I'm not going to be suspicious of you, now? You're the only one here, and the paper's gone."
Jerome glanced over at the sage. "Oh, geez, you're right...ugh, I guess I don't really have any proof here...well, did you see the paper at lunch? If it was gone before lunch, it wasn't definitely me."
Tyler thought for a moment. "Hm...I could have sworn I saw the paper at lunch... I guess I can't say you definitely took the paper, but you're not cleared of suspicion, either."
Jerome nodded. "Okay! We should probably get everyone here so we can interrogate." His suspicious attitude gone in a flash, he was suddenly full if energy again, typical for Jerome.
≪≫
Everyone was gathered in a circle in the center of the Dining Hall, eyeing each other suspiciously.
"When did you last see the paper?" Quentin asked Ryan and Bash, who had been the first shift.
"When we were guarding it," Ryan reported. "I didn't see Bash take it, he didn't see me take it."
"Same for us," Matt added, who had been the next shift with Ty.
"Then after those two shifts we had lunch," Brice said thoughtfully. "Then Jerome and Tyler's shift."
Tyler frowned. "So...if the paper was there for the first two shifts, and it was there at lunch, but it was definitely missing on the third shift, then could it have been taken during lunch?"
Adam raised his eyebrows. "Wouldn't we have seen them? We were all in the room during lunch."
Tyler nodded. "Probably not at lunch, but maybe right before or right after, or between shifts?"
"Well, after our shift was over," Ryan explained, "Matt showed up first. Bash left, but I stayed until Ty showed up, too, so at least two people were in the hall at any time. The paper couldn't have been taken between the first and second shifts."
"It couldn't have been taken before the first shift either,"Jason pointed out, "Because Ryan and Bash stayed behind while everyone else left. There wasn't a time when one of them was alone to take the paper. Oh, and it couldn't have been between the second shift and lunch, because I was the first person to arrive for lunch and they were both still there."
"Was the paper still there, though?" Bash asked nervously.
"Well, the two of us were guarding it, correct?" Ty pointed out.
Matt nodded in agreement. "The paper was still there before Ty and I stopped to eat lunch with you, I checked.
Quentin narrowed his eyes in deep thought. "Hm...so, then the only other option as to when it could have been taken would have had to been between lunch and the third shift, right?"
Tyler nodded. "It makes sense. After lunch, everyone left except for me, you, Ryan and Brice; we were hanging out and discussing our plans for tomorrow. We all completely forgot about the paper, and we went to go invite everyone."
"Everyone was present in their rooms, too," Brice added. "Jerome must have remembered it was his shift and went down to the Dining Hall after we invited him, but before Tyler came. Meaning Jerome was alone in the Dining Hall for about a minute or two."
Jerome sighed helplessly. "I'm obviously a suspect now, but when I got there the paper was gone. I instantly thought it was Tyler because he wasn't there."
"Yeah, you seemed pretty suspicious of me when I got there," Tyler added.
"So, whoever took the paper took it between lunch and the third shift?" Quentin asked.
Everyone looked around and nodded. "Probably," Ryan said.
Tyler sighed. "I guess we just need to be extra careful from now on, then...since whoever's got the paper definitely doesn't feel like admitting it anytime soon."
Everyone nodded grimly, glancing uneasily around at each other.
After the mini-trial, where not much but the time the paper had been stolen was determined, everyone hastily returned to their rooms.
Tyler had only just sat down on his bed to try and do some thinking before he heard the scream.
Tyler leapt out of bed when he heard it-he could 't identify who had screamed, and he listened for a couple moments to see if he could hear everything else. But it was silent.
Tyler cautiously opened his door and looked around, only to see Brice dash down the hallway in front of him.
"Woah! Brice!" Tyler called. Brice skidded to a halt and whipped around. "T-Tyler?!"
Everyone was opening their doors to see what all the commotion was by now.
"Brice, was that your scream?" Adam asked.
Brice nodded shakily. "I-In the Enchanting Room... there's a ghost!"
"AAH! G-GHOSTS?!" Bash screamed.
"What do you mean, ghost?" Matt asked.
Brice glanced down the hallway. "There...there was some kind of glowing light coming from the enchanting room...I saw the light and heard someone talking so I went to check it out."
Tyler frowned. "Was it definitely a ghost?"
Brice shook his head. "I don't know... I didn't get a good glimpse."
"Ahahaha! What're we all getting scared about?" Suiko asked. He must have...is 'came' the correct term? When Bash freaked out.
"C'mon, we should go check it out!" Jason exclaimed, and everyone headed towards the Enchanting Room.
Inside, all was dark except for a lavender light in one corner of the room. casting an eerie glow on the place.
"Hello...? Is anyone there...? A voice echoed. It was somewhat faint and unclear, making the voice unrecognizable...but it did sound a bit familiar...
Jerome cautiously pushed open the door and walked inside. Everyone followed.
Someone flipped the lights on, and everything became clearly visible. Some people let out startled gasps, others just stared at what they saw in confusion. What they were staring at stared right back at them, with wide curious eyes and head tilted to the side.
Standing on the enchantment table was a mini hologram of Seto.
"S-Seto?!" Adam exclaimed.
"Ha...it appears to be a magical hologram...!" Ty explained happily.
Tyler couldn't believe it. The image was coming from a beam of lavender light that shot from all four diamonds on the table, connecting over the book into the mini Seto that hovered over the book. The Seto image was the same lavender color. It was slightly transparent and glowed faintly. Seto was glancing around at all of them witn wide, curious eyes that seemed all too Seto-like.
"Hello there...are you all the Super Minecrafters?" the Seto asked.
"It talks!" Jason whispered in a high voice.
"Y-yes, we are," Quentin replied uncertainly. "Who...who are you?"
The Seto smiled. "Haha, I think you all know, right? You all live with my Master, right?"
"Master? You mean...Seto?" Matt asked.
The Seto nodded. "Yes! He created me, with his magic. He created me to help him search the books in the mansion for clues on our past. I haven't seen him in a while however, is he here?"
There was a silence.
"Seto...died," Ryan said grimly. "He was killed by Mitch."
The Seto frowned. "Oh...I see...I guess that would happen sooner or later..."
Tyler still couldn't believe it. This was a magical creation, not the real Seto, yet was it feeling true emotions for Seto?
"What's your name?" Quentin asked.
"Oh...I don't really have an official name, but I think Master called me AlterSorcerer," the Seto replied.
"S-seto..." Brice murmured painfully. "You...you're not entirely dead...?"
Tyler had forgotten that Brice had been good friends with Seto, once again making him feel sympathetic.
AlterSorcerer gave Brice a small reassuring grin, so similar to how the real Seto would act it was creepy. "Brice... I know I'm not the true Seto, but I hope that I can help you all with my studies, just like I helped my master."
Brice nodded silently.
"However," AlterSorcerer continued, "Without my Master's magic, I don't know how long I'll be able to keep going.. I hope I can still help find information by then."
Brice nodded and stepped back.
"What exactly have you found so far in your studies?" Matt asked.
AlterSorcerer seemed to become happier when the topic of his studies came up. "Well, I've been reading all these books! I believe you all cannot read them because they are in Standard Gallactic, but Master and I can, and there's some useful information to be recognized!"
"Really? Like what?" Quentin asked.
"Well, there was one book about how everyone was excited for a new adventure map coming out, having to do with something called 'Herobrine's Mansion,'" AlterSorcerer explained. "But the project was quickly shut down and said to never have been finished. No one knew why."
"Could that be referring to Herobrine's Mansion of Despair?" Jason asked.
"Who cares? Can I stick my hand through the Seto thingy? I wanna see if it'll go through, or hurt it!" Suiko exclaimed.
"Hm...probably," Tyler said to Jason. "But then again, if we're here now, why wasn't the project ever finished?"
Jason nodded. "You're right..."
"Well, I hope to find new information soon for you all! It'll take slower now that master's gone, but I can do it!" AlterSorcerer declared triumphantly.
"Okay, just keep reading books, then!" Quentin told AlterSorcerer. "We'll be sure to check on you every day if you find anything."
AlterSorcerer's eyes brightened. "Will do!"
Tyler wondered all about what AlterSorcerer had reported that night. What had happened before they had came here?