Future Beckons

Dimitri's POV

Lissa and Christian had lost their head completely. It was as if they were unable to recognize us.

Rose, as she had been doing for the past few days, immediately took up a defensive posture in front of me. She crouched low like a lioness, ready to pounce on anyone that dared to come near.

In spite of my protests, she had forced me behind her. Being a dhampir in the melee of Strigoi was definitely not a good position, so I didn’t actually protest that much. I would be of less use to her in a fight. With my skin charred and scalded and painful blisters from the fire, I was still too weak to put up an actual fight. I would actually be a hindrance.

But my heart knew that Rose couldn’t bear to destroy them, but then, what was she going to do exactly? How would she restrain them?

I could see the brief flicker of dilemma in her eyes, which was soon replaced by a strong resolve. I just prayed that she hasn’t resolved to kill them. That would be the decision that she would have regretted for life.

But I didn’t have to wonder for long, because just at that moment, I heard a whoosh of water with the crackling of dying flames behind me, as the fire wall collapsed, bringing into view an army of Strigoi. Two had used large hoses to put out the fire and in the center of their army formation was a man.

He was middle aged and not very tall but stocky and strong with a cold terrible appearance, a strong and aquiline nose, swollen nostrils and a thin face in his very long eyelashes framed large wide-open crimson Strigoi eyes, compounded with bushy black eyebrows making him appear more threatening.

He was clean shaven with a moustache, swollen temples. A bull’s neck connected his head, which had blacks lock hanging on his wide shoulders. There was a degree of cruelness and cunningness in him.

“Vlad!” Lissa’s terrified voice was heard.

That was Vlad the Impaler, the voivode of Wallace and at that moment, he seemed definitely pissed and his lips were drawn back over his fangs as he looked menacingly at us.

“You,” he pointed one thick finger at Lissa and slowly drew it around the group, “You all will suffer.”

I reached out for my stake, but he was faster and with one blow, his lightning speed compounded with the agility of a Strigoi, he deftly knocked out the stake from my hand grabbing my throat.

I tried to pry him away with bare hands. His hands were cutting off my oxygen and it was steadily becoming difficult to breathe.

Rose lunged for the stake, not caring if it burned her, but, a group of Strigoi pounced on her and overpowered her pinning her to the ground. The others moved towards Lissa and Christian.

I knew at that moment that we were defeated. We were going to die a brutal death. Still struggling with Vlad, I managed to look at Rose who had somehow grabbed the stake and was staking one after the other, with an insane power, trying to fight her way through them to me.

But Vlad was a lot stronger and my heart knew that this time, it was too late.

Lissa and Christian were putting up a struggle of their own but the Strigoi were stronger and seemed to have some kind of training. Perhaps they had been dhampir before being awakened.

Just then everything stopped. The whole action, the fight stopped midway. It was as if we were left hanging in midair. Vlad’s hands were still around my throat, and his eyes were still the same but he was unmoving.

I looked around and Rose had stopped in the act of staking a Strigoi. Lissa and Christian had their backs to each other as they were crouched in a defensive posture. And the Strigoi, they were just frozen on spot.

It was as if time had stopped for an instance.

Was I the only one who hasn’t stopped?

I tried to move my limbs. I could move.

I walked away from Vlad, moving towards Rose.

I touched her and felt the rigidness in her limbs. I tried to soothe her but she remained still as a statue, firm as a rock.

What as happening?

The answer came in the form of a beautiful blue light which filled the place, giving the dreary dungeons a mysterious, heavenly look.

And I saw a circle of light in the middle and from it emerged two figures, two and a half precisely.

“Rose!” I exclaimed and then turned to the other person, “Dimitri!”

I couldn’t believe my eyes. They were the future. The man with his shoulder length brown hair and brown eyes which mirrored mine was none other than my own future self. There were faint signs of aging on his face and the future Rose was as fresh and beautiful as the present.

And lo behold, something was peeking out from behind Rose’s back. A small hairy head was bobbing up and down and a little hand with stubby fingers was beckoning to me. The round, angelic face, those mesmerizing clear eyes, her lips always in a cute pout like an o, the rosy lips and the babyish smile of innocence.

“A-L-E-X-A-N-D-R-A,” I couldn’t control my joy at that moment on seeing the trio.

The surroundings, the ensuing war, the strangeness of the situation, everything was lost on me as I ran forward to greet them.

914 words completed.

A/N Second part for the black belt write to rank contest by action

Thanks Pipigrin KashishBelikov Meghana_violet
JoeRover2 KlaraSofe JenniferJones frostwingak TwilightGirl32 dodsley edelmeehan teamhathaway ebartlett03 Ranger_of_the_North