Chapter 11

Drew's POV

     I rummage through the kitchen for some food with the room to my door locked and the music blasting, just like we planned. That way Sergio is going to think I'm in there, and he won't be able to go in and check. My door is usually locked anyways.

      Sergio lies on the couch, which happens to have eyesight of the door. From where's he's sitting, he has a clear view of the door. If our plan works, his attention will be diverted elsewhere, so I can make my quick exit. He won't notice I'm gone.

     When there's knock at the door, my pulse quickens. She's here. I've never actually seen her before. I've only heard her voice. She knows what I look like though. She has an advantage.

     "What the heck? John wasn't supposed to come with more food until Tuesday," Sergio grumbles as he pushes off the couch from where he was lying. He walks over to the door and opens it. When he opens the door, my jaw drops.

      Mia stands there in leather pants and a leather jacket with a v neck white shirt layered underneath it. Her black hair is cut just below her shoulders and is let loose. It has a slight natural curl to it too. He makeup is minimalistic, but it's effective. My eyes scan her a couple more times, and at certain times, my eyes linger longer than they should.

     "I'm sorry. Drew's not here," Sergio rolls his eyes. At first, I think he overheard our plan, but then I realize that this type of thing used to happen all the time. A girl would come over and ask for me.

     "I'm not here for Drew, whoever he is," she pulls a paper out of her pocket. "I'm assuming you're living in this apartment."

     "Yes I am," it comes out as more of a question.

    "Well, my dad is the landlord and such. He gave me this survey that I'm supposed to have all of the people living here take," she holds up the paper. "Can I come in?"

     "Sure I guess," he moves out of the way, letting her into the room. She walks with such confidence through the room over to the living room where Sergio just sat. As we planned, she sits at a table where she is facing the door and Sergio is facing the window.

     "Sit down, it might take a while," she gestures to the seat across from her. He sits down with ease.

     "On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate the toilets?"

     "What?"

     "It's a legitimate question. Haven't you ever had to use a toilet where it barely flushes and is super weak? Or one that seems so strong it's going to pull in the whole universe?" Mia and I make eye contact when she says that, and I can't help but smile.

       "The toilets are normal toilets, so I guess a ten."

     "Fabulous. How thin are the walls, one being thin and ten being thick as hell?"

     "Five I guess, but my roommate is excessively loud."

     "Ew roommates. He must suck."

     "It's not that he sucks, but it's just a difficult situation."

     "Ouch, my back is killing me, fucking periods." That's my cue. While Sergio is flustered and in shock from the statement, I slip out the door. I knew he and wouldn't know how to respond to that, so his mind would be going crazy. He wouldn't be able to hear me leaving. 

     I turn and enter the door to the stairs. Following the plan, I go down a story and a half before waiting for her. She's going to say something about having to leave because the pain is too excruciating. She's then going to come down and join me. I sit on my phone, browsing through nothingness when I hear the door above me open. There's then a pattering of footsteps above me too. Soon enough, I see Mia standing in front of me.