Chapter 30

"I need to talk to you," I said to Gerrard when he met me in front of Elijah's mansion.

Today was the day of my last real lesson on magic. I had mastered all of the battle spells I needed to. The only thing left was finishing how to manipulate the various elements, and I was nearly half-way there. After I completed my training today, I would be able to use the magical knowledge I had in a more practical and everyday kind of way. This basically meant that I was ready to go on missions with Gerrard and the others.

"About?" he asked.

"Something I just learned," I replied.

"Vague..." he commented.

"I can't tell you right now," I said.

"I'm intrigued," he said.

"Oh, you'll be more than intrigued when you find out what it is I need to talk to you about," I said. He chuckled and held the door open for me. I stepped inside the familiar dark foyer.

"It's quiet," I noted.

The past few times I had gone in for training, the place was bustling with people. Sometimes it was people coming in for meetings with Elijah or people that had just been recruited going in for training. It was obvious that a movement was well under way, although it was only the beginning.

"Everyone's out. There was an...issue..." Gerrard replied.

"An issue?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Elijah and Gianna had to go meet with Isaac in Italy at the Government building. Some of the others went to kidnap one of Long's kids," he explained. I gasped.

"Those girls are so sweet, though!" I exclaimed. He shot me an annoyed glance.

"It's a really good thing Elijah wasn't here to hear you say that," he said.

"What good is kidnapping one of his kids going to do?" I asked.

"It's leverage," he answered.

"How so?" I asked.

"Our primary target right now is to take Long down. From what you've told us, he has a lot of pull in not only the Government, but also in the Order. He's a strong and really important figure and he needs to be taken out of the way. So the only way to do that is to hit him where it hurts: his family," he told me.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"The daughter we plan on taking was a miracle baby. The wife he has now is not the mother of his first child. The mother of his first child died in the previous Trinity War. The kid was born right before she died. Somehow, it survived. There's nothing more valuable and precious to Long that his first child," Gerrard said.

"What are we going to do when we get her?" I asked.

"We'll just keep her locked. We're not going to torture her or anything. Just hold her hostage until Long gives himself up or until he agrees to do what we say," he replied. I frowned and then sighed.

"Well, as long as we're not going to hurt her," I said.

"So are you going to help me finish my training? Since Gianna's gone?" I asked, changing the subject. He nodded. I groaned and he smirked. I hated it when Gerrard helped me train. He was much stronger than me and he didn't go as easy on me as Gianna did. I suspected that he still held a grudge from the first time I had fought him, more than six months ago.

I followed Gerrard downstairs to the training room. In front of me was the same set up that I used for the past few times I had been there: a bucket of water, a lit torch, a tree branch, and some rocks. They were the elements that I was told to work with. I had been practicing how to manipulate each one, although my main element was water.