Chapter 26

"Trey and Caley, if you don't mind, I could use some help cleaning up some of these guest rooms," Natalia said, walking into my room where Trey and I were lounging around.

"Why?" Trey asked.

"Why what?" Natalia asked, annoyed.

"Why are you cleaning the guest rooms?" he specified.

"Because we're going to have guests over for Christmas and they need a place to stay," Natalia replied.

"What kind of guests?" I asked, getting up. We followed her out of my room.

"Important ones. From Christopher's work place," she replied.

"Why are they coming over?" I questioned, my mind reeling.

Christopher worked for the Trinity Government. That meant there would be government officials over at Trey's house, which meant it was a perfect opportunity to put my spying skills to use. I felt my heart race. I would finally find out who was in the Order. I would finally be able to be useful to Elijah.

As I thought this, I paused. Was I excited about finally being able to be a spy? Was I getting excited to actually do work for the dark side? Was I looking forward to it?

I couldn't believe it, but I had finally embraced the dark side. I was ready to do work for it. I wanted to do work for it.

"Caley?" Trey said, pulling me out of my thoughts. I blinked and looked at him. Natalia and him were at the bottom of the staircase and I was still standing at the top, my hand resting on the railing. I had gotten so caught up in my thoughts that I had stopped moving.

"Are you all right?" Natalia asked.

"Yeah..." I said, still partially in a daze. I shook my head slightly and regained composure. "Yes, I'm fine. I just remembered something,"  I said.

"What?" Trey asked as I descended the staircase.

"It's nothing," I replied casually. I saw him furrow his brow, but he didn't press for more information. We followed Natalia to one of the bedrooms that was on the main level.

"So there are some new bedspreads in the closet. I need you to put that on the bed and make sure you change the bedskirt, too. There are new curtains in the closet, too and I need you to put those up, as well," Natalia instructed.

"Why do we have to change the curtains?" Trey asked, groaning.

"Because the curtains match the bedspread," Natalia replied. "Get to work in here and then move on to the other bedrooms. I have to start making food," she said. With that, she turned around and walked out of the room. Trey sat down on the bed, an annoyed expression on his face.

"This is why we should have maids," he mumbled. I chuckled and hit him over the head with a pillow.

"Don't be a baby," I said. "It's not like we were doing anything, anyway," I added, pulling a chair over to the curtains. As I did this, I realized I could just use magic. I nudged Trey, who had gotten up to help me.

"We can use magic. Cole's not home," I said. Trey's eyes immediately lit up.

"You're right! Excellent! We'll be done in no time," he said excitedly.

And we were. We finished changing the curtains and bedding in about five minutes.

"Who knew those basic spells we learned in high school would ever come in handy?" Trey commented as we stood back to examine our work.

"Well, I guess that's why they're basic," I said. He nodded.

We continued to do this for each guest room that was available, which was seven. I was never ceased to be amazed at how incredibly large Trey's house. It made me a little sad because I thought of the tiny apartment I had grown up in. It made me realize how completely different mine and Trey's lives were.