Chapter 1

Someone was trying to get into my mind.

I felt my heart rate quicken and then I heard it.

A twig snapping.

I gasped in fear and stood up, looking around me. I wasn't alone. Someone was in the woods and they knew I was here. I squinted in the darkness, trying to see who it was. I thought I saw a shift of movement in the trees, a rustling of branches. I moved closer to the spot where I thought I saw a movement, racking my brains for a spell that could possibly help me out if I was in any danger. 

And then I felt a cold hand cover my eyes.

I let out a terrified scream, but the person who had covered my eyes clapped their hand over my mouth.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Caley Lucia."

I froze.

The first thought that ran through my mind was, "Oh God. I'm going to die."

No shit, brain.

No! Stop it Caley! Focus! You have to get out of this!

The hell I can.

FOCUS!

I couldn't see anything. I had no idea who the voice belonged to, but it was a male. I knew that for sure. It was most definitely not Trey's voice. One, it sounded a lot hoarser than Trey's voice did and two, this person smelled a lot muskier than Trey did. Also, his hands were rougher.

What was I going to do?

I had to get away somehow, but how?

I could still feel the cold prickling feeling at my consciousness. He was still trying to probe my mind and I was pretty sure he was successful.

I tried struggling against his strong grip, but it was no use. He was strong. I heard him chuckle in my ear, his breath sending shivers down my spine.

I'm going to die, I'm going to die, I'm going to die.

Kick his ass, Caley!

Right, like that was so easy.

I evaluated my situation, trying push the stranger out of my mind. I fought hard against him, trying to kick him out of my head.

When I failed, I decided to take another approach, but I was going to have to be careful. A sliver of a thought formed in my mind, but I fought to keep it below the surface of my consciousness.

I was going to trick him, but I needed to be very, very careful about it.

Think of a spell, Caley. Think of a freaking spell!

"It won't help. I know of magic even your wildest dreams can't imagine," the stranger whispered in my ear.

Fu*k you, Merlin's balls-licker.

He laughed as he listened to my internal insult.

Levitation spell. That would work. I just needed to find a branch or something heavy.

I expanded my mind so that I could sense the movements and essence of the forest around me. I needed to find something heavy or sharp, or both preferably...

There! A fallen branch! Perfect!

"It won't work," he said.

I can still try.

I cleared my mind, still feeling his consciousness at the edges of mine, reading my every thought.

I have to do this right.