27.

"Don't be shy — pick a job!" Gray called from the table. "For Pete's sake, it's not a house you're choosing!"

Lucy's eyes wandered over the jobs. There was one in Hargeon that offered 1000 jewels for finding some undersea treasure. But Lucy knew Aquarius was away for the week, so that wouldn't work. Next was a job for capturing a group of thieves. Honestly, with all that she and Natsu have been through together, it wouldn't make for much of a job. As Lucy looked to the other side of the board, she saw Natsu out of the corner of her eye. There he was, standing all proud with a huge smile on his face, holding a job.

"This one." Was all he said.

Lucy took the paper from his hand and read it carefully. It was a request to subdue Vulcans on Hakobe Mountain. Exactly 20 Vulcans had been getting out of hand and coming down the mountain to the villages below and causing a panic. Lucy chuckled as she read the flier. It was all too similar to the first thing she had done with Natsu after joining Fairy Tail. It was too good to pass up.

"Alright," Lucy smiled. She turned to Mira and handed her the paper. "We'll go on this job!"

Mira smiled at the couple as she took the flier from them. "The client lives at the bottom of the mountain — he'll give you more details. His name's Laith."

Natsu bumped Lucy's shoulder with his own as they walked back to the table. They were finally back. His team. Lucy looked towards the table with their son. Juvia was bumping Nashi on her knee as he played with Atlas. Gael was sitting next to Gray and playing with a water bottle. She was controlling the water inside and making a mini whirlpool. Juvia and Gray watched her with pride.

As soon as Lucy was close enough, she took her son from Juvia and rested him on her hips. She had been thinking of how best to tell Nashi that she and Natsu were leaving on a job.

"Nashi!" Natsu rubbed his head. "Momma and I are going on a job!"

Nashi's eyes opened wide. His hand dropped his stuffy. Lucy could see the moisture in his eyes quickly forming. She glared at Natsu as she patted Nashi's head.

"It's okay Nashi, we'll be back tomorrow. In the meantime, you get to have a sleepover with Gael!" Lucy smiled at her son, hoping it would calm him down.

Nashi looked from his momma to his poppa. They were both smiling. He liked it when they smiled. Gael was smiling at him too. Slowly, he looked back to his momma. He did a single nod and tried to suck back his tears.

"Tomorrow?" He asked.

Natsu grinned. "It's just one sleep. And you'll be having fun with Gael."

Nashi looked to Lucy. "We'll be with you before you know it."

Nashi motioned to be put down. Once his little legs were on the ground, he waddled over to Natsu. As if looking straight in his father's eyes, he said one word.

"Safe?"

Natsu bent down and looked and his son. He put his hand on Nashi's shoulder and smiled.

"We'll be back by tomorrow. Don't worry. Be strong."

Nashi looked down at his feet. He could still feel the heat behind his eyes. But poppa had asked him to be strong. So he looked up at both his parents. They were standing arm in arm looking down at him.

"Goodbye!" He smiled at them.

Natsu and Lucy smiled.Lucy passed Nashi's overnight bag to Juvia. Slowly, Natsu and Lucy waved as they started to walk away. Nashi watched them leave through the front door. The rising sun made it hard to see them as they left. Nashi could only see their silhouettes for a brief second. Then they were gone.

Nashi stood up a little taller and sucked in his breath. He turned around back to his uncle. He stared straight up with a serious face.

"No rain. Momma and poppa be home soon."

Gray smiled down at him and bent to pick him up. Nashi flung his arms around and walked away. Climbing up onto the bench, he sat between his godparents and faced towards the table. He was going to be a big boy for a day.