16.

A few weeks later, Natsu walked into the guild. Happy flew off from behind him to the table with his family on it. Freyr welcomed his father with a mid-flight hug, and Carla welcomed him with a scolding. Natsu and Happy were a day late.

Natsu looked around for his wife in the guild. His eyes brushed across the different heads and finally stopped. The blond was sitting with her blue haired friends. Gajeel was there too, along with Nayeli. The table was lively with conversation and Natsu found it to be no trouble to sneak up on his wife.

"Lucy!" He cheered when he was right behind her.

With a start she jumped. Lucy looked angrily behind her. Natsu was the expected culprit. Sticking out her tongue at him, she pouted.

"Natsu! Don't scare me. You know I don't like it!"

He grinned and brushed off her complaint. He slammed his hand down on the table, a pile of cash underneath.

"Get on your fancy dress Lucy, I'm paying for dinner tonight!"

Levy from across the table squealed with excitement. Gajeel looked worryingly at her. Nayeli joined her mother in the joyous noise.

"That's so romantic!"

"Juvia did not know that Natsu-san could be romantic." The other blue haired woman said.

"Aw, shut your traps." Natsu groaned.

He gently grabbed his wife's arm and pulled her up. He headed to the door, arm in arm with his wife. Lucy chuckled at his child-like behavior. Throwing a response over his shoulder, Natsu slammed the door.

"I can be romantic when I want to!"

Natsu started grumbling to himself as soon as he left the guild. Lucy chuckled at her husband, and wrapped her arm around his own. She could feel the tension in his arm.

"Was the mission hard?" She queried.

"Hard?" Natsu laughed. "Nothing's tough for me!"

Blowing a strand of hair out of her face, Lucy looked up at her husband. "Really? Then why did you insist that it was too dangerous for me to come along?"

Natsu chuckled nervously. "Well, it was gonna be a guys trip. Y'know, like how you go and talk with the girls every week."

Lucy grinned. "Okay. I get it. But next time just tell me it's a guy's trip."

Natsu grinned and nodded. Grabbing Lucy's hand he turned up the hill and towards their house. He opened the door. Stopping, he gasped. "Lucy, you cleaned the house!"

"Oh, it was nothing." She blushed.

Lucy led her husband into the house. They quietly walked to their bedroom and each pulled out their clothing for the upcoming date night. Lucy pulled out a slimming crimson dress. It had spaghetti straps and a slit up her left leg. Natsu eyed the dress carefully, grinning from ear to ear.

"That's what you wore to Bora's party in Hargeon." Natsu reminisced while he pulled on a button down shirt. "You haven't worn that dress in a long time."

Lucy laughed lightly. "Of course it's been a while since I've worn it — I'm scared it's going to be a little tight. I'm no teenager anymore."

Natsu buttoned up the patterned shirt. "Don't worry. Even if you're no longer a teenager, you're still Lucy, and my wife."

Carefully, Lucy pulled her hair up onto a tight bun. "Oh stop it," Lucy chided. "You're going to make me embarrassed."

Natsu turned around with a smile to his wife. She had finished getting dressed and so had he. His shirt wasn't buttoned up all the way; the top three buttons were left undone. The short sleeves only just covered his fairy tail mark and if he raised his arm high enough it could be seen. His shirt wasn't tucked into his pants. Instead, it lightly fell over the ironed black pants. On his feet Natsu wore fancy dark grey dress shoes.

Gently holding out his arm, Natsu grinned. "Ready to go, Mrs. Dragneel?"

"Ready if you are, Mr. Dragneel." Lucy grinned and took his arm.

The two left the house in a comfortable silence. Walking down into the city, the couple drew a few glances. Glances to which Lucy and Natsu smiled kindly. He gently swung their hands together and pulled Lucy towards the street with all the restaurants. He was looking forward to spoiling his wife.

As they entered the restaurant, the atmosphere changed. It was light, but quiet. The two could hear little wisps of conversations as they walked up to the front desk. Natsu requested a table for two, and Lucy hugged onto his arm ever tighter. They were led to the back of the dining hall where a small table sat. It was well put away in the far corner — and hidden so no prying eyes could see it. A small candle gave ambiance to it along with a vase of simple flowers. Natsu released his wife and allowed her to sit and joined her across the table.

"Natsu ~" Lucy blushed, holding her hands to her face in an effort to cool her cheeks. "It's wonderful. Did you plan this?"

Natsu shook his head proudly. "Not. One. Bit. I'm just sporadic when it comes to romance."

Lucy sighed gently. She smiled at Natsu. "Do you even know what that word means?"

"Um... nope."

The waiter arrived and poured each of them a glass of ice water. He gently placed a menu in front of each person and slipped away. Natsu glanced at the prices and then at his wife. He knew that she would worry, and could even see the creases develop on her face.

"Don't worry." He comforted. "I've got it covered."

"But Natsu," She whispered. "We've never gone anywhere so fancy — so expensive before."

"It's fine. It really is. So order whatever you want."

Shaking her head, Lucy gave up. She skimmed over the menu. There was a type of pasta that sounded really good. But she wasn't sure. Looking back at her husband, she could see his pink spikes sticking over the menu as he read it fiercely.

Soon the waiter came back for their orders. Lucy ordered the pasta, and Natsu ordered a steak. When the waiter asked if the couple wanted wine, Natsu was ready to respond enthusiastically. But Lucy cut in.

"No, thank you."

Natsu gave her a strange look as the waiter walked away.

"Lucy, you love wine. What's wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong," She waved away his question. "I just don't want wine tonight."

Natsu knew Lucy — the smile that was open but empty, and the eyes that had closed their doors. She wouldn't talk about it. As Lucy shifted the conversation, Natsu could feel the thorn in his heart. Lucy moved along with the conversation. Nothing was wrong, but she wasn't sure when she wanted to talk about it. As she watched Natsu's eyes light up when the waiter brought his steak, Lucy giggled. There wasn't going to be a better man for her.

As Natsu stuffed his face, Lucy twirled her pasta elegantly. Watching the noodles move in the pale sauce was calming.

"Natsu, there's something I want to tell you."

Natsu looked up at her. A chunk of beef hung out of his mouth. Natsu was smart enough not to open his mouth, although he tipped his head in question.

"I was going to tell you when we got home but I can't wait." Lucy smiled gently at her husband.

"I'm pregnant."

The beef dropped out of Natsu's mouth.