Chapter Sixteen

Sixteen

     Max told Harry on phone that he could come over to ours after confronting his mum. They hung up. Max turned around and looked at me with apprehensive eyes.

     "What was happening just now? You sc-scared the hell out of-f me," Max whispered slowly. "Don't worry about the storeroom o-okay? You've just burnt the paper bags of the flours. Nothing too serious, and Jennifer was only worried about you. Me too. Tell me anything, okay? I'll help you, if I can."

     "It was great actually," I said with a light smile, "I know the truth now, and I think I'll be fine."

     "The truth about what? Don and Harry are brothers?" Max sat down next to me on the couch, "that's not your business to care about, Minnie. There must be some reasons why that bloke was hiding it. You know, they'll fix whatever they're dealing with. You have to stay away from Don, I can tell he is driving you crazy. Did he really cheated on you? I'll do something about it."

     "My counsellor is wrong. She tried to reset things," I sighed, "I am alright now. You have ever had this feeling that you are in a jar and someone finally open the cover and you can breathe again? Don't do anything to Don."

     "I don't know what you're talking about," Max said, "Talk to me, okay? We can get an appointment in the public hospital. It's, it's cheaper I think."

     "I am not sick. I've never been sick. Don't you see? I can talk to people again, and I am going to be okay." I walked to the kitchen.

     "Did you see yourself just now? It was like you tried killing yourself back in the bathroom again, Minnie!" Max exclaimed, eyes goggling at me like I was going to explode, "you were yelling like possessed, and you were kicking at people and only Harry could hold you down. And what happened in the storeroom? "

     "I'm fine now," I concluded, annoyed, "Max, I just need to go back to school, find Miss Johnson on Monday."

     "What were you thinking just now? I need to know that." Max looked like he was exploding.

     I felt I was asked this question a lot, so I chose to not answer. I hugged Max for a long time. I went into my room when he made dinner. I sat on the floor. Max wanted me to leave the door open. I remembered Don, and all his secrets, and Harry, and Zara. I thought about Miss Johnson.

     I took out my phone, found her number. I deleted it. I did not think about Don. I forced myself to think about Harry, and I didn't want to stop thinking, and caring, about him then.

     Harry arrived with a weary face. He looked way older. Battled and baffled. He had longer hair now, I realised. Max didn't ask anything because he didn't really know any. He should remain this way, and he stayed in the living room.

     We were sitting in my room. It was astonishing to remember how Harry and I used to cuddle on the bed, thinking about the impossibilities and he would fall asleep next to me hours later. Harry thanked me for getting him some water.

     "How are you feeling?" I asked, sitting across him. I got up and closed the door.

     Harry shook his head, drinking his water.

     "How are you feeling?" Harry asked. He didn't stop holding my hand when I sat down.

     "Harry you have to talk to me," I said.

     "I hate you," Harry said.

     "Oh," I sat further away from him sincerely, "I should probably leave you alone?"