Chapter Three

Three

     I realised Harry actually spent a lot of time with his mother, it was good to know that so I could just ask him to spend time with his mum instead of making up stories. And I realised Harry was always by himself. It was sad to see that and so I decided to be his girlfriend for a longer time.

     "Why are you always alone?" I asked him on phone after school one day. Talking on phone with Harry was easier because he would stutter less.

     "I don't know," Harry said. "My friends are in universities, but you will see them when they come back for Christmas. They don't really talk to me now, and when they do, I don't understand what they are talking about."

     I nodded, "That's not very nice of them. I would feel sad about it too."

     "Don likes my mum too much," Harry said, I couldn't hear the sound of the television in the phone anymore. "He is stealing my mum."

     "Is he?" It sounded funny.

     "I bet he is," Harry's voice was quiet. "He came home the other day, his hair was wet. I don't know where he has been, and he talked to my mum in the kitchen, and they laughed all night."

     "Maybe Don went to find some floating ships under the water," I suggested hopefully.

     "He is seducing my mum," his voice was fierce. "he helps her to clean and sometimes works in the shop."

     I liked the name of the shop. It was called Wonder Petal and Harry's family name was Wonder.

     "Mum wants to meet you," Harry's voice was bright again.

     "I'd like to meet her too!" I told him excitedly.

     "Really?" Harry asked. He didn't believe it. Me neither. After a while, he said, "I missed you today."

     "You know I do too," I told him. "I think I'll like her, your mum."

     "Do you, like, Don likes, you know..." Harry asked nervously. "He doesn't like middle age women, does he? I will beat him up if he does."

     We talked and I hanged up when the door was opened. There was Max, holding pretty white flowers. Daisies.

     Max struggled into the flat and put the flowers on the table. He looked exhausted. His chocolate hair looked messy.

     I clapped, "Flowers for Anne!"

     "Nope, these are yours," Max frowned at me. "Someone left them to the neighbours and they handed them to me just now."

     "For me?"

     "From Harry, isn't it?" Max ran his fingers through the little white things. "We don't have a vase."

     "We have lots of water bottles for recycling. Don't say anything to Harry for me, I will have to thank him romantically," I said and took out one from the cupboard. There wasn't any card or note. Max filled the bottle with flowers.

     "You should be a florist," I told Max. "And you should buy Anne flowers."

     "Okay," Max smiled at me. I waited.

     "Tommy has bought me flowers too. Once." I said. "They smelled amazing."

     Max turned around to put the bottle. "Nah he didn't. He picked them from the park while I distracted the guards."

     "Is that true? You guys must be quick!" I grinned.

     Max nodded. I wished he would look at me.