Chapter Four

Four

     My mum and dad would stay in Louca for one more night. They couldn't stay for long because they had to go to London later for a conference. I was happy that they were leaving so they would leave our Christmas alone.

     I chose a red dress for the farewell dinner. Harry was sitting on my bed reading a cook book. It was Anne and Max's turn to pick up my mum and dad from the hotel they were staying. We threw the coin, I chose tail and Max chose head. I cheated and he lost.

     The past days were so strange. I didn't know how it was possible since there was enough oxygen in the flat, but everyone was suffocating, one way or another. Max had paid too much, and he didn't have to buy those really expensive wines the other night. Then Anne told me that Harry helped paying too. I'd always thought Anne and Harry wouldn't get along, they didn't speak much to each other.

     Harry was reading and I didn't know what to say to him. So I lay on the floor and gazed at my sky. He looked different these days. He didn't wear his usual plain clothes. He wore shirts when he came over, and his hair stood like skyscrapers.

     "Minnie? What are you doing?" I saw Harry's face on the edge of the bed. "You're, like, your dress. It matches your hair though it is messy - wait you just haven't combed it yet. I mean, the hair is fine, and the dress too."

     "Thank you Harry," I said. I closed my eyes and I dreamt of a blue Christmas with huge pirate ships. Harry said something about the book he was reading. It was about some pumpkin pies American made during November. I nodded and said and agreed something.

     Harry was sitting on the floor near me now. His hand was stroking my forehead.

     "The floor is freezing," Harry said. "Don't you think it's cold? I can sit on the floor if you want, just get back to your bed."

     "No," I said. "Turn on the radiator if you want. I like cold."

     "I can't leave you here lying," Harry said. I felt warmth next to me. It was annoying so I opened my eyes. Harry lay on the floor next to me, and he grinned at me from the side.

     "It's better now," I lied. I kissed his cheek. I closed my eyes again. I didn't want to look at the ceiling with Harry together. "I know you don't want to be here. I am sorry that you have to come and suffer with me."

     "I want to come," Harry said. "I know I want to be part of your life. If you want to be part of someone's life, you've got to put effort on it, or they'll have every right to ignore you."

     "No one should ignore anyone, putting effort or not." I told him.

     "It doesn't work like this. But you're a girl, maybe it works this way for you," I heard Harry, and felt his fingers dancing on my hand.

     "People have ignored you before?" I asked.

     "They didn't like me. It's alright, no one in their right mind would like Twatty Harry," Harry said. "But secondary school was better because I got into a fight and I won. People didn't say horrible things to me then. And I am free now. And there were some nice people in the reading club, people who can't speak well, like me."

     "You speak amazingly," I said. "With my parents."

     "They're nice people," Harry said.

     "Thank you for lying to make me feel better," I kissed Harry again. I felt him burying his head in the arc of my neck. His breathing was melodic, but I didn't want him near me.