[21] Confessions and Caterpillars

wooo :) Twenty one! I like this chapter, it's scary and cute all mixed into one :D Thoughts on Jasper the cutie little cupcake muffin are greatly appreciated! 

Also, this chapter does have swearing, but I know alot of you have said "I like how you don't cuss in your story" so I changed them to fudge :) 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C H A P T E R  T W E N T Y  O N E 

❤ 

“Don’t look so scared,” Jasper chuckled, bumping into me gently as we walked side by side through the eerie, deserted street.

          “But I am scared,” I replied in a slightly whiny tone, forcing the words through clenched teeth, “I mean getting chased by a hobo on my first day here didn’t exactly set a great first impression of the place.” I tried to lift my spirits with a joke but it didn’t seem to help. I was terrified. Probably even more scared than the time Eli made me perform a thirty second demonstration to the health class about the correct way to place a condom on a banana. It didn’t help that when he handed me the little silver package from the box he made special emphasis that they were his condoms. At first I thought it was a warning not to stuff up and start over, because that would be wasting, but it was when I saw the words ‘large’ ‘slim fit’ and ‘flavoured’ that I realised why he was so keen on letting me know who they belonged to.

          “Where are we going anyway?” I asked, kicking a pebble along the path. I could barely see the small stone rolling along the cracked pavement; the flickering and mainly vandalised streetlights gave off nothing but a dim murky orange glow. Jasper turned to look at me sharply, his eyes flashing something I couldn’t quite put my finger on -danger, fear, excitement? I wasn’t entirely sure, but whatever it was it was something I’d never seen before. 

          “A surprise,” He said with a raise of his eyebrows, before grabbing my hand and pulling me aggressively from the safety of the sidewalk, I swore he almost ripped my shoulder from its socket. He pulled me down a skinny, narrow dirt track overgrown with parched wheatgrass and thistle bushes, forcing me to run to keep up with him. As we headed into the unnerving darkness, the streets of Flipswick began to seem increasingly safer. Jasper’s grasp on my hand tightened as he began to pick up speed, his jandals slapping heavily on the dry dirt track.

          “Can we slow down?” I asked exasperatedly, shielding my face with the back of my hand as the thorn bushes began to scratch at my exposed skin. But it was as if Jasper had suddenly decided to start sprint training, his steps becoming faster and faster. I don’t know how he knew where he was going, the moon was blanketed in clouds and the track was in almost total darkness. The only sense of direction I had was the sound of Jasper’s footsteps and the firm grasp he had on my hand.

          “Where are we going? Can you answer me?” Jasper’s grasp loosened, and I decided to shut up and keep running. My old grungy canvas sneakers weren’t doing me any favours, with the rubber sole worn down to almost nothing I may as well have been running barefoot.

          “Please,” I gasped between raspy breaths, “let’s stop now.” I pulled my hand, releasing it from Jaspers sweaty grasp. He turned around quickly, skidding along the dirt. I wiped my clammy hand on my denim shorts.

          “No, come on,” he urged, attempting to pull me again like I was some sort of resistant puppy, “It’s just through there.” I looked to where he was pointing but all I could see was a void of darkness, total murderer territory.