Chapter Twenty Four-Ticking Away

Harry's POV

A few days past, and let me tell you, Louis has come out of his room again.

And he's always with Zayn.

I avoid the two of them even more, not liking the overwhelming feeling of jealously that burns in my stomach whenever I see the two of them.

We have exactly ten days until the interview, and no one from management or anything has contacted us at all.

I just want to get away from it all. From Niall and Liam being all cute when Louis' not around (I don't get that), and then Louis and Zayn together.

I think back to that bit of their conversation I'd heard a few days ago..

***

I walked silently up to my room after ditching Niall and Liam, who were cuddled up on the couch kissing, paying no attention to the movie.

I was about to open my door when I hear Zayn and Louis...

"What does Liam know?" Zayn asks.

"Um.. I told him that I was just upset, and it would take too long, but now.." Louis says, sighing at the end.

"Lou.." Zayn starts sadly.

"Yeah, so.." I hear Louis pause as his voice cracks. "I'm pretty sure that ended things."

I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, so I snuck quickly into my room to see Liam appear, heading for the bathroom.

***

I groaned. I want to know what ended whatever it was that had ended, if that makes any sense. I also wanted to know why Zayn and Louis were suddenly so close.

Aren't I supposed to be his best friend? But no, I had to forget every fucking thing to do with him, and then start having some pretty inappropriate dreams about him, and no real memories ever.

My life is pretty fucked up, if you ask me.

I pull on my Jack Wills jumper and some sweats, heading downstairs. I don't think it's ever going to stop raining. Ever.

And I feel like.. I don't even know.

I look at the four boys in the room with me.

Niall and Liam, sitting next to each other, just holding hands, nothing more. Why are they suddenly so censored around Louis?

And Louis.. He's sitting on the couch next to Zayn, playing with his thumbs while Zayn flips through the channels.

Louis looks a bit.. Ill? I don't know if that's even the right word. His tan, it's not as golden, his hair just flops into his face, and his gorgeous blue eyes seem hollow.

This is not the Louis that arrived at this cabin. Not the Louis that I had fallen for in our short time here.

No, this is a new Louis. A Louis that I still love, but I know will never love me back, not even as a friend anymore. Not since I kissed him.

As I think about it, I can feel my face heating up, wishing to relive those few moments. I shut my eyes. Maybe I should go up to sleep, maybe have another dream...

No. I shouldn't encourage these emotions. They will only make things worse between Louis and I.

"Harry? Are you alright?" I hear Louis ask from across the room.

"Mhm." I mutter, keeping my eyes closed, while in all actuality I feel sick.

"Are you sure?" Asks a voice from right beside me, making me jump. I look up to meet Louis' baby blue eyes staring down at me, concerned. "You look like shit."

"Well, gee, thanks!" I mutter, shutting my eyes again and crossing my arms over my chest.

"When was the last time you slept properly?" He asks, probably taking in the large shadows under my eyes.

"Dunno." I shrug, although, I do. The last time I slept properly was the night before I kissed him. Every night since has been plagued with dreams of him.

All I seem to do is lie to him lately. Although I know that they are all lying to me about... Something. A secret.

"You should really try to get some sleep." He says, still close to me.

"What does it look like I'm trying to do?" I ask, a bit too coldly.

"Sorry for trying to help." He mutters sadly, and I hear him walking up the stairs.

"I'll go... Yeah." Zayn says as I open my eyes to see him follow Louis up the stairs.

Fucking fucker. Stay away from Louis.

"Lou's right, Harry." Niall says, and I look over to meet the little Irish lad's eyes. "You really do look like you could use some sleep."

"Fine." I snap, standing up and stalking up the stairs.

"... Not much time left!" I hear Louis say, and I can tell from his voice that he's crying.

"Lou, calm down, it'll all work out." Zayn says in a comforting tone.

"Zayn, what if it doesn't?" Louis sobs, then I hear him mumble something that sounds very much like "never going to remember me."

Wait. Where they talking about me? Am I the reason Louis is crying? Who would I be the reason? Oh, right.. Best friends.

Duh.

I go to my room, and look at the calendar on my wall. The days until we can get out of here are ticking away far too slowly...