Something strange

This was definitely not what Oscar thought his first kiss would be like. Actually, he didn't think he would ever get it, mostly because he didn't particularly care for the idea. Now, however, he realized just how much he had wanted it. He had read about characters experiencing feelings like this, but he could never really relate to them on those terms.

Oscar didn't think his heart had ever raced as fast as it was at that moment. He had just acted on an impulse. One that he was terrified he may regret. But right now, he tried not to think about that. He was kissing Jasmin for christ's sake.

And he was sweet; Jasmin's vanilla scent mixed with the sugariness of his lips made Oscar's heart flutter. Honestly, why hadn't he done this sooner? This annoying, charming, flamboyant blonde had found the soft spot that Oscar desperately wanted to keep hidden. Jasmin had brought down all the defenses when Oscar was trying more than ever to keep them up. This stupid stupid blonde. This stupidly pretty blonde.

Jasmin's mouth twitched into a smile and he pulled Oscar closer with his uninjured arm. He had wanted this too.

It seemed like time had stopped for the both of them, each one almost entirely focused on the other. Oscar had originally thought that kisses were incredibly sloppy with a lot of salivae and just, gross, but this wasn't like that at all- and Jasmin's lips were just as soft as they looked.

He tastes like honey...

Finally, Oscar pulled away, feeling a jumble of emotions crashing through him like waves. He was breathless. Somehow, he was able to meet Jasmin's gaze and was surprised to see that the blonde was blushing.

Jasmin looked rather dazed, as if he couldn't fully believe what had just happened had actually happened. Oscar couldn't say that he did either.

But it had. It definitely had.

Oscar felt his face becoming hotter with every passing second and he quickly averted his eyes from Jasmin. What the hell had he just done? Why did he let himself do something like that?

He glanced up at Jasmin, who was smiling bashfully at him. Jasmin. Bashful. Not something he'd expect from someone quite so bold.

Bloody hell, now Oscar couldn't stop staring at him.

But he couldn't just sit there gawking; he needed to say something. Oscar swallowed and rubbed the back of his neck. "I, uh... how's your arm?" he asked rather sheepishly. His heart was still racing.

Now, Oscar could barely make eye contact with Jasmin. The blonde, however, seemed to have no trouble with keeping his own gaze as clear as day. 

"It doesn't hurt as much," Jasmin finally replied with a slight sigh. There was a dark flicker of disappointment that went across his face, but it was gone just as quickly as it had come. Oscar wasn't even sure that he had really seen it. 

"But it's definitely going to be a pain to deal with-" 

The blonde was cut off as the hovercar gave a sudden, violent jerk, which sent Oscar flying forward into the back of Nina's seat; he landed in quite an uncomfortable position.

"We seem to be here."

Oscar (painfully) lifted his head at the words and saw the car doors open. They had arrived much sooner than he had thought they would. And yet here they were.

I really don't know much about all of this, do I?

I haven't done much for Shuko. Why are we here? Why did we come out here again? We were... in the 5th district... but whatever we were there for couldn't have been the top priority. It just doesn't make sense that way.

He caught a flash of pale skin as Mirja put her hand on Toto's shoulder before hopping out of the hovercar. As she did so, Nina brought Ashil to the beck and sat him beside Toto. She smiled at him.

Oscar almost forgot that they had brought Ashil with them. 

"You stay in here with Toto, okay? We'll be back... soon, hopefully. Toto knows where everything is in here, so just ask her if you need anything," Nina explained to Ashil in a rather motherly tone. Her expression was soft as she put a hand on Ashil's head.

Then, she got out of the car without another word. Oscar, feeling quite strange, didn't follow her right away. Instead, he spoke to Jasmin- although his eyes didn't exactly reach the blonde. "Are you going to be okay with your arm like that? We don't know why Shuko's called us here."

The atmosphere felt tense; Oscar wasn't sure where it had come from, but there was an uncomfortable feeling in his gut. 

There was a warm pressure on his hand and there was Jasmin, taking up his vision. The blonde smiled, and it reached his hazel eyes. "I'll be okay. Let's go- it's best not to keep everyone waiting if this is important."

Before Oscar got a chance to respond, Jasmin disappeared through the doorway. Oscar heard several voices begin to murmur outside of the car.

Why were they there? Was it really that important? Didn't they realize how easy it would be to simply leave all of this alone? There wouldn't be any trouble. They wouldn't be in any danger. They wouldn't have to worry about each other so much.

"U-um... mister?"

Ashil's tiny voice broke Oscar out of his thoughts and he slowly looked at the boy, as if he wasn't fully awake. He blinked. Ashil had been speaking to him. 

"Oh- yeah?"

"I-I think they n-need you. Y-you should hurry." Ashil shrunk a little beside Toto as he looked up at Oscar, his eyes wide and afraid. Oscar intimidated the poor boy. This was new to him. He wasn't used to people looking at him that way. Then again, he was sure that it had happened before.

That was strange. Who had it been?

"Right. Sorry. You two stay in here, alright?" Oscar said after a brief pause, starting to come back to himself. He gave a quick nod to Toto before looking out of the car. The hairs on the back of his neck prickled. Something, very good or very bad, was going to happen while they were there. He was sure of it.

Oscar stepped out of the car and the doors slid shut behind him. 

~~~

This is a much shorter (and poorly written) chapter, but I felt bad for not posting one the past week or two (or longer, I've honestly stopped keeping track of time). The next chapter may take a while to write- but not to worry, I'll try to post it after a reasonable interval, haha.

Apologies~

- Cactus King