Squad 3: The 5th District

The 5th district was not small. In comparison to the others, it was huge. Nina had mentioned that it would be different from the others, but no one expected it to be this different. Out of all of them, Nina was the only one who had ever been to the 5th district. Which is why they agreed to let her lead the way through the confusing buildings and pathways of the district. Not to mention, Mirja and Jasmin specifically were unnerved by the dirt roads and paths throughout the run-down city.

"I didn't know a city could look like this," Jasmin murmured to Oscar as they followed after Nina. Oscar raised an eyebrow. "Don't you read?" He asked, although he too, was rather uneasy.

"I just... I figured that they'd take better care of this district. I know it's the furthest out that's legally allowed to be populated, but this is ridiculous," Jasmin muttered. His eyes wandered around, watching citizens with somewhat ragged clothing and beaten up wristbands. Several children were running around, chasing each other, with a fair-haired girl sitting nearby on a small porch. Jasmin would've almost considered it to be a rather peaceful place, had the children not froze when a patrol of soldiers rounded the corner. They all ran to the girl who quickly ushered them inside and shut the door behind them.

A deep frown was etched onto Jasmin's face as they continued on their way, turning sharply to the left before they reached the patrol. Oscar let out a quiet sigh. "I guess they could care less about this place."

Oscar himself rather liked the 5th district; the streets weren't lined with bright white panels and shiny sidewalks. The 5th district was more rustic. Apart from the cyborgs and occasional hovercar, there wasn't much to show that it was connected with the other districts. Despite the fact that it brought in a lot of the materials needed for building and secure structures, it was a poor area. Oscar couldn't understand that- where was all the money going? Surely there would be at least some to spare, even if they were using it for something else.

As the group passed by a small market, a tall boy next to a parts kiosk caught his eye. He seemed incredibly familiar; his dark hair, his slender build, the grey-blue eyes, and his posture. He looked a lot like Shuko, Oscar realized. But before he could get a closer look to quench his curiosity, Jasmin blocked his view.

A twinge of irritation flickered in Oscar as he glared at the blonde. What was his problem?

Jasmin arched an eyebrow before glancing back to the Shuko-like fellow. "Please tell me that isn't your type," He said, his voice sharper than usual. Oscar didn't know what was more amusing- the way Jasmin kept messing with his hair or the jealousy in his voice.

"Relax, he's not. Not really, anyway," Oscar said, putting his hands in his pockets. Jasmin turned to look at him, biting his lip. "So... what is your type, then?"

Oscar rolled his eyes. Jasmin didn't seem to want to give up on the subject of Oscar's preferences. Oscar himself didn't even know what his 'type' was. Someone who wasn't annoying, probably.

"None of your business."

"Am I your type?"

"No."

"Are you sure? C'mon, at least give me a hint to what you like-"

"Go bother someone else."

Jasmin let out a laugh. "But you're the only one worth bothering!" He chuckled, ruffling Oscar's hair. His eyes sparkled as he met the bookworm's glare and he grinned.

Luckily for Oscar, Nina saved him from Jasmin.

"Look ahead- that's the place." Nina stopped about a block away from a large, secure building. There were two sentries at what Oscar assumed was the front, but other than that, there was no sign of any security.