Pinky and the rude pod

Reuben looked at the photo of Luca, Shuko, and Jasmin at the festival, holding it above him as he lay on his back. Luca had given the pictures to him a few days ago. A week and several days had passed since the anniversary of Mrs. Gridley's death and Caio's birthday, but the atmosphere of the Gridley house was still very much subdued. Derec Gridley hadn't even come home to see his children.

There was a knock on his bedroom door.

"Reuben? You up?"

Moren appeared from behind the door as it swung open. He looked as if he hadn't slept in days. "How do you feel?" Moren asked wearily, his light amber eyes dull with sleep deprivation. Reuben gave his twin a grim half-smile as he ran a hand through his ashy blue hair. "Fantastic," He croaked.

Moren let out a dry laugh. "Me too." It was silent for a moment before he said, "Do you want to go to the clock shop? It'd be a good distraction for us."

Reuben swallowed. "Where's Caio?" He asked as he sat up, the photo still clutched in his hand. His twin relaxed a bit. "With his friends."

About 15 minutes later, Moren and Reuben entered the clock shop. Mr. Kedi's head popped around the corner of the workroom. "Hello, boys!" He greeted them in his usual cheerful tone. He pushed up his round glasses, his eyes magnifying to make him look even more owl-like than ever.

"I have something for you!"

As he shuffled back into the workshop, Moren and Reuben exchanged a glance. Mr. Kedi seemed happier than usual. Perhaps he was attempting to make Moren and Reuben feel the same- he had been close to Mrs. Gridley.

When Mr. Kedi came back, he was holding two packages. They weren't stamped with the usual marking codes that packages were required to have, so Reuben assumed that this must be special delivery.

Handing them the packages, Mr. Kedi gave them a very cat-like smile. He reminds me of a lucky cat, Reuben thought to himself, the corners of his mouth twitching slightly at the thought of Mr. Kedi as a ceramic cat in a store window-although, most stores like that were gone now.

The packages were surprisingly light. Reuben raised his eyebrows, lifting the box to inspect it from every angle. "What's in here? Where are we taking them?" He asked, peeking around the box as he held it in the air.

"What's inside is a secret, for now. And you can take those home with you once you finish up here," Mr. Kedi explained, giving them a wink. Reuben blinked. Moren looked up at Mr. Kedi. "Wait, so these are for us? What about Caio?"

Chuckling, Mr. Kedi said, "He came by earlier and I gave his to him then." He shook his head with a smile. "You boys really need to perk up, now! Goodness me I know what it's like, but I've always found it better to focus on the happy things," Mr. Kedi said thoughtfully, clasping his hands together. "Of course, it takes time," He looked over his large spectacles, "But everything turns out alright in the end. Times aren't always great, I know. Just appreciate the small things and your wounds will slowly heal."

Reuben stared at Mr. Kedi with a tight throat. He was struggling to keep his emotions in check after the old man's words.

"We'll try," Moren murmured after a moment, giving Mr. Kedi a small bow of thanks. The owlish man nodded at the twins. "You three are quite strong young-uns. You'll be just fine."

A little while later, Moren and Reuben had split up to make some technical repairs in neighboring locations. The latter was at a sparky 22-year-old's hovercar repair business. He had been low on employees that day and Reuben was always willing to help out a friend despite the whole 'hating technology' thing.

"Reuben, I'm in the back!"

The ashy-haired boy grinned as he entered the garage and set down his tool bag. "Alright, what do you want me to do today?" He called as he pulled off his long-sleeved shirt, revealing a tank top beneath it.