Squad Two: the Headquarters of the Militia

Norene led the way into the military stronghold, marching past the cyborg soldiers as if she was their commander. Her assurance relieved Luca, who wasn't feeling the most comfortable in the most secure place throughout the districts- which they were going to hack into and see if they could trace anything from there.

Shuko had caught some files mid-transmission and decoded them within the hour with Nina's help. The military hadn't been safe from the virus, either, which is what made it possible for them to breach the headquarters without much of an issue.

The virus hadn't done enough damage at the Wisdom to allow tracking from there, which is why Shuko sent them out to begin with. He stayed behind while helping Ace finish his software. It was very near completion.

Luca jumped a little as something brushed against his hand but it was only Reuben, who had moved to walk beside him.

"Stick close," Reuben murmured quietly, keeping his eyes forward. "I don't want to lose you in a place like this."

Luca was silent for a moment before lowering his eyes. He didn't want to lose Reuben, either. Especially not here. It would be likely that he would never find his way out. Maybe out of the building somehow, but getting out of the district itself would be much more difficult. That's exactly why he focused all his attention on staying with the others for the time being.

After following a very complex route through the halls that Shuko had suggested they take, they found the entrance to the lower levels. Norene shot a look at Sever, whose eyes flitted in several different directions before he messed with a ring on his right hand. There was a humming noise growing louder from the walls, but before it got particularly alarming, it died off, leaving them in silence.

"They've been disabled. Let's go." And so, with that, Sever led the way down into the basement levels of the building. The areas in question were very dark. The group could only see due to the lights lining the edge of the halls, ceiling, and some along the wall.

Luca kept his ears pricked for any signs of the cyborgs as they walked, keeping alert as Sever stopped beside another door. This one had no handle- like most in the building- and a glowing panel rested beside it.

"This shouldn't take too long," Sever mumbled. He began to mess with the panel. After about five minutes of fiddling with it, Sever swore and hit it. Norene snorted.

"I thought you were supposed to be good at this," She said dryly, observing his lack of success. Sever chose to ignore her and gave the panel another go, but once again, it didn't work.

"Why won't this stupid thing work?" Sever grumbled. It wouldn't take any of their IDs, which couldn't be a good sign.

Norene crossed her arms, tossing her flaming curls behind her before saying tartly, "What? Do you need your technical genius Anyim to do it for you? Because he's not here, marshmallow."

Sever let out a bark of hollow laughter at her snide remark. "If you're so clever, you give it a shot."

Norene sniffed before pushing Sever to the side and looking over the panel. She raised an eyebrow. "Hm. This was above your caliber? It's not that-" She stopped. An amused look crossed over Sever's freckled face. "I told you."

For a few moments, Norene didn't do anything. Luca swallowed. They had been in the same place for a while- surely someone noticed the surveillance system was down in this area of the building?

"Norene, seriously. Just give it up-" "Got it."

Sever furrowed his eyebrows before shoving his way next to her. "What?"