Chapter Forty-Three: The Order of The Phoenix

PC 43

We duck into the thick grove of trees that hide the walls of Potter Manor. Sweat trickles down my forehead as I silently crouch next to James.

"I doubt they're around here. That's Potter Manor." The farmer says to someone. "They're quite rich and their son is off at a fancy boarding school."

"Alright. Call off the search. I think they've got away." The second voice declares in defeat.

We wait until the heavy tread of their feet disappears.

"That was fun."

"Bloody hell, James! We could have gotten in trouble!"

James kisses my forehead. "Ah, but we didn't."

I laugh as we walk back into garden. "My mother always told me to never get involved with a troublemaker. Somehow, I fell in love with one."

James smirks. "All part of my charm, love."

Calmly, we enter the manor and walk upstairs to the hallway. James guides me to his room. I quickly change into a t-shirt and sweats in the bathroom. Slowly, I climb into the bed next to James and fall asleep in his arms.

.....

I pull my fiery red hair up into a simple bun. Today is the day. After today, my parents will be in the ground... As calmly as possible, I straighten my black dress.

"Lils, can I come in?" James asks from outside the door.

"Sure."

James stands in the doorframe with a unfathomable expression. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks... Never thought at eighteen, I'd be dressing for my parents' funeral..." I look at James. He looks amazing in his dark blue dress shirt and suit. The suit jacket is open and his tie is hanging loosely, resembling his uniform at Hogwarts. "You look handsome." I say softly. I step forward and straighten his tie.

James groans. "Seriously?"

I give him the look and he shuts up.

"Sirius will be in the kitchen in about five minutes. I hope..."

"He'll be there. Sirius isn't always reliable, but he is a man of his word," I remind James.

Carefully, I walk down to the kitchen. James trails behind.

Sirius is sitting at the table with a scowl etched into his face. The Daily Prophet is lying in front of him. He tosses it wordlessly to James.

James studies the paper for a moment. His eyes narrow and a scowl similar to Sirius' appears.

"What?" I ask.

James shakes his head. "Ask me later."

"What is it?" I repeat as I reach for the paper.

James holds the paper up out of my reach. Dammit! I hate it when my height is used against me. I'm not short at five-seven, but James is six-three. "Not now." James says shortly.

"What is your problem?" I ask harshly.

Sirius looks at me. "Lily, humour James and I. Read it later." He says seriously. "This morning is going to be hard enough, don't make it worse."

I take a deep breath and nod. "Alright. I want to know after the funeral though."

"Of course." James says softly. He sets the paper on the counter with the title page down.

"Remus and Peter will meet us there. Alice and Frank too." Sirius tells me.

I nod. "Alright." I mindlessly grab a muffin off the plate.