Chapter 35: The Games

Author's Note: Sorry for the hold up! Got back from the cottage, but still in Canada. I won't be able to upload every day, but I'll try. Did you see the new book cover? Tell me how you like it! And I updated the summary of the book, if you wanna see that also. This is dedicated to my friend KatyRogers2, who just joined Wattpad. Thanks for fanning me! Hope you read this. VOTE, FAN, COMMENT!!

"Retreat!" calls out Sky, obviously realizing that the Careers are helplessly losing. He scrambles backwards, loses his balance, and falls on his back. The fear in his eyes is unmistakable. At first, I think he's staring at me, like one would expect. But, no. He's afraid of Crystal! "RETREAT!"

I look up at Crystal, looking around as if for the first time. I see in her eyes the feeling of disbelief. No, something else, also. I search her eyes, and finally, it comes to me. She's horrified. Horrified that her hands are bloodied by Crash's very own blood, who she just killed. Horrified at the people who have died. Horrified of what she has become. She stares around, and I look as well.

Shane is hobbling away from the clearing, cuts across her face and blood pouring from a gash in her forehead. The girl from District 10, Atlas's partner, lies dead on the ground, a knife stuck in her chest. Veronica lays right next to her, but I dare not bring myself to look. Brook is dashing away, lucky enough to only get a few small, measly cuts, next to Sky, who has only a single cut on his cheek. Atlas is probably still huddled inside of the tent, hoping nobody comes to kill him. Finally, Crash lies limply on the floor beside Crystal, dead. I shiver. I had so many nightmares about Crash killing Crystal, but as it turns out, Crystal would end up killing Crash. I never thought to see the day when Crystal became a murderer.

I look over at the Loverbirds, who are approaching me. Gret has a large bruise on her temple, already swelling to the size of an egg. And besides two large cuts on his legs, Cody looks just as he did before the Games. Except, of course, the dirt and grime clinging to his body. One look at Crystal and I'm jealous. She's still in perfect condition, not a single scratch on her. But then, I mentally slap myself for being so selfish. I told myself to keep her alive, and that's what I need to do. But then again, if I was in better shape, I could be of more use to Crystal. I shake my head, clearing my thoughts, but that brings back the pain in my chest. It doubles me over onto the ground, and my body rocks and shakes in pain. I gasp for air, but the sharp pain just gets worse. Crash had dug the spikes into my chest, but not only that, he had dragged them across my chest, leaving multiple deep, bloody cuts. I'm surprised I haven't died yet. I can feel it coming, as if God was slowly putting his warm, comfortable arms around me, but I'm hesitating.

The sharp pain is not only just in my chest, but it in my ribs and lungs. I don't know how far the spikes dug in, but it's not good. I begin to choke and cough, sputtering out blood, which dribbles onto my shirt and clings to my body. The pain is constant, like a somebody stabbing you over and over in a rhythm. It shrivels me up each time, doubling me over, the pain getting worse and worse. Blood is all around me, and I must be losing more than half. In a minute, if nobody does anything, I will most surely black out, and who knows if I'll come back to earth. I look up and realize Crystal standing over me, worry in her eyes. I try to tell her I'm alright, but instead, blood gurgles up and spits out of my mouth. The pain winces at me, eating away my fresh. Although she's witnessing my death, her expression snaps from frantic to a stern, hard look. She tears off her sleeves, impressing me by her strength. She then teas them carefully in half lengthwise, producing a long and wide piece of fabric. I think of Jannie and how she'd shriek at seeing Crystal rip perfectly good fabric. I almost laugh, but this clogs my lungs and I spurt up more blood. The pain seems to be ebbing its way throughout my entire body, inch by inch. I try to cluch my chest, but Crystal rips my hand away. She bends over and wraps the fabric over ny chest, squeezing it tightly. Since the fabric is a little short, she has to squeeze extra hard, making it nearly impossible for me to breathe. I begin to choke on blood bubbling in my throat, but she doesn't resist. I end up gagging it up on her, but she doesn't even bat an eye.