Chapter 23: The Final Day

Author's Note: Wow, 45 minutes before midnight! Just made the deadline. This took me like 3 days to write, that's how long it is. Hope you enjoy! I know I like the ending of this chapter. I promise, you WILL be surprised! Also, pay attention to the victor of the 9th Hunger Games. Does this ring a bell? (Only if you've read Catching Fire) This is dedicated to Horseandbooks. Thanks for fanning me! It's fans like you who keep me motivated. The next deadline is Sunday, June 17, 2012. PLEASE VOTE AND FAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I groggily wake up from my deep slumber in a strange, black bed. I look around at the room, confused, until I remember the storm yesterday. Everyone was sent down to the evacuation floor and put into their assigned places. The tributes all went to their designated rooms, while the mentors went to a large lobby meant specially for the mentors, and the escorts went to a similar place meant for the escorts. I yawn and find myself still exhausted from yesterday. I pull the covers back over my head, wanting to fall back asleep. The gentle, fluffy pillow and blankets lull me half-asleep, and I let my eyes close and gradually fall asleep once again. Darkness overcomes me and I sink back into a dreamless sleep.

I wake up once again and slowly look over to my side, where there is an alarm clock. I look at the time and sit up straight in my bed. 3:30! I slept until 3:30 in the afternoon!

 I yawn and throw my blankets to the ground, just to hear a loud thud. I look to the ground and find the large clump of blankets covering up a large box. All I can see is a corner, so I toss the covers to the side and find a large, brown box, taped over at the top. I tear open the top and look at the contents. Inside, 24 tapes are filed numerically. At first, I have absolutely no idea what it could be, but as I wake up a bit more, I remember today's orders.

"Tomorrow, instead of fighting to the death, you will be locked inside of your rooms, watching previous years of Hunger Games the entire day. If you decide to LEAVE your room, so help me I will bring all hell down on you."

So this must be the tapes of previous Hunger Games. I nervously pick up a random tape labeled 20. But before I plug it into the TV, I throw it on the bed and cross outside of my room, where I know a bathroom is. I zip into the bathroom to find a clean and functional bathroom. On the left wall are two showers, seperated from each other. On the right wall are sinks and bars of soap. There is also a supply of deodarant, toilet paper, shaving cream, razors, and other hygiene utensils. I hop in the shower and take a hot, steamy shower. I clean myself nicely, desperately trying anything to stall myself from watching Hunger Games. Finally, I get out and pick out a fine tuxedo from my wardrobe and put it on. This will most likely be my last outfit of my life, besides the outfit we are required to wear during the course of the Games, and I want it to be elegant. Back in the bathroom, I slick my hair back instead of in its usual style. In the outcome, I look like a true gentleman, not a monster. I walk back to my room and plop down on my bed, my feet beside the box. I casually look down at the box, dreading the moment when I will finally have to watch them. I sit like this for several minutes, until boredom overcomes me and I stand up.

I pace around my room for a little while, until my eyes wander to the desk. I sit down in the chair and look through the contents of all the droors. Several books are in one, a couple of documentary tapes about the rebellion of Panem (like we don't already know enough about it), some peppermints, a box of paper clips, some pens and pencils, a roll of tape, a stack of paper, and some toothpicks. I grab a pen and a piece of paper and write the words:

Dear Mom and Dad,

I tap the pen on my head, trying to think of what to write. I should be able to get Jasper to send my notes back to District 11 when he ships off my dead body. My mind wanders around restlessly, and soon, I'm back home, in my own room. I'm sitting at my own desk, staring out my window at the orchards, where thousands of sweaty workers are trying to earn enough money to live another day. I live in the center of District 11, where most of the orchards are. District 11 is of course the largest district, and the population is over 300,000 people, over 50,000 of which are kids. So what infuriates me even more is the fact that, out of 50,000 kids, both Crystal and myself were voted into the Hunger Games.