Chapter 29: The Games

Author's Note: Thanks for reading! Remember to vote, fan, and/or comment to get your own chapter dedicated to you! This one's dedicated to Shushan7. Thanks for the comment!!!!!!

"I'm glowing?" I ask, confused. What does she mean I'm glowing? But the looks in their eyes tell me that they're telling the truth. I look down at my hands and nearly scream. My hands are glowing like a lightbulb, shining through the night. How is this possible?

"How, what, why is this happening?" I shriek, trying my hardest to keep my voice down. 

"The opening ceremonies!" shrieks Crystal. Veronica is still too mesmerized by my skin to say anything, and I'm beginning to panic. "Remember you asked Rhett not to spray you down? You said you wanted to stay like that!" Now I'm panicking. This is not good. This is ver, very bad. How easy will it be now to be found and killed? My heart pounds even harder, and I begin to run around in circles.

"Make it stop!" I scream, not being very careful as to not draw attention. But Veronica just stands there, distracted by this wonder. Her mouth is wide open in shock, and her eyes tell me that it'll be nearly impossible to get her out of this state. 

"Cover yourself with mud!" hisses Crystal. I instantly drop to the ground and dig through it with all my might. Within a minute, I have reached the mud, and I begin to coat myself with it. The mud covers up the light, and I begin to relax. I coat my feet, arms, neck, and face, covering myself up. When I'm finally cooled down, I relax and sigh. I am still trying to believe how sudden that was. But now, it all makes sense. Why Snow and Jasper were paralyzed when I snuck into their floor, that's because I was glowing even then. I had thought that it would wear off, but it hasn't the least bit. The look in their eyes, why the Gamemakers were able to find me in the dark so easily, why Snow was screaming, it all makes sense at last...

"Let's get going," I say, still sweaty and scared. "Who knows the number of tributes coming to get us now."

We start off sprinting, hurrying to get back home. It's already dark, and occasionally, we will run into trees. But we don't stop sprinting, hurrying so we aren't eaten alive by hideous creatures. We follow the outline of the mansion, appearing close to us. But because of how massive it really is, I suspect we're about a mile from it. We keep running, not stopping. When we are just a  few hundred yards from the house, I begin to itch on the back of my neck. I scratch at it, but it only makes it worse. I keep sprinting, and soon my face begins to itch. It's not so bad at first, but it begins to worsen. Finally, it's so bad that I have to stop and scratch. It's literally driving me crazy, and there's nothing I can do. 

"Help me!" I scream at them, feeling as if this itchiness will be my death. "HURRY! It's going to kill me!"  I begin to roll on the ground, but still, that makes it worse. I scratch so hard that skin peels off into my fingernails and I begin to bleed. But the more I scratch, the worse it gets. Veronica and Crystal get to my just as I fall to the ground. The itching has moved from my neck, to my face, then into my clothes, then to my legs. Soon, my whole body is itching like crazy. I am beginning to bleed from various parts of my body, because I'm scratching too hard. The mud is now completely gone, and I glow through the night. My flailing around and glowing will make a first target to any nearby tributes.

"Don't scratch it!" yells out Veronica. But it itches too much, and I have to scratch. "STOP!" she screams. She begins to grab my arms and yank them down. She holds onto them and twists them around, so I can't move them. She gives a triumphant smile, but now, I'm screaming and yelling. I stand up and scream, scratching at my body parts. Soon, Veronica is scratching at her hands, where she grabbed my arms. But, like a light shines on her, she realizes what's happening. She refrains from scratching, but only for a few seconds. The temptation becomes to great, because the itching moved from her hands to her entire body. She scratches, and before long, she's screaming to.