Chapter 30: The Games

Author's Note: Thanks for reading: This is dedicated to MaatkaraTasherit. Thank you for fanning! Hope you like Chapter 30! PLEASE COMMENT! Please comment and tell me how you like it so far. =D

I wake up at the break of dawn. I sit up in the sleeping bag, well rested now. I stifle a yawn and then look over to my right. Veronica is asleep on the ground, curled up in a ball. Suddenly, I feel bad for hogging the sleeping bag all night. I look behind me and find Crystal holding guard. She smiles at me. I smile back. Her hair is a complete mess, like she slept and rolled all over the ground. I silently mock myself. She did sleep on the ground! Her hair is barely in a bun anymore, the random hairs flying left and right. Her bun is composed of about 20 hairs, loosely knotted together. She has dirt and grass over her whole body, and even a few cuts here and there. I sigh. She's already gotten hurt.

"Good morning," she says. 

"Bad morning," I joke at her. She smiles a little bit.

"Why's it bad?" I laugh just a tiny bit, low enough to not wake up Veronica. 

"Because we're still in the Hunger Games," I remark. I stick my tongue out at her, and she does the same. We both laugh, but unfortunately, this wakes up Veronica. She lets out a huge yawn and stretches. 

"Hey," she says. I grin widely at her. 

"Hey," I mimic. She gives me a face, but this just cracks me up.

"What's his problem?" jokes Veronica, talking to Crystal.

"I don't know, but he's in an awful good mood this morning," she responds. I quit laughing and yawn again. 

"How long have you been up?" I ask Crystal. 

"Not long," she shrugs. "Just an hour or so. I look over to the packs, and begin to feel guilty. I don't want to ask for more food, especially since Crystal and Veronica barely ate. I look away.

"Let's hunt," suggests Veronica. I look at her, surprised that she brought it up before I did. I nod.

"Yes, we really do. But, shouldn't we wait a little bit?" But I'm taken aback when Veronica refuses.

"No way," she says. "If we wait any longer, all of the other animals come out. Dawn is practically the only time barely any animals come out. The night animals go back to their dens because of the light, and the day animals sleep for a little longer."

"Fine," I sigh. I get to my feet and stretch out, still a little tired. "Let's get going then!"

Veronica and I grab our backpacks and we leave the house, out of the back door. We hop the fence and enter the orchards, hurrying before all of the creatures come out. Wait, WHAT?

"Wait a second," I say, stopping in my tracks. "How are we supposed to hunt if all the animals are asleep?" Why has it taken me so long to realize that??

"Watch and learn," remarks Veronica, grinning wildly. She gets her knife from her back pocket and then quietly creeps through the orchards, following something only she can see. Finally, it seems as if she's found what she's looking for, and she stops. She holds her knife level with her eye, the blade pointing out. She creeps one step closer, going ever so quietly.... BAM!

She whips the knife from her hand and it twirls through the air, faster than life. It sticks into something in the ground, something I didn't see before. The orchard floor is littered with decaying leaves, broken branches, and twigs, which makes it hard to see the large clump of twigs and leaves in between two trees. The clump makes a whining noise, then goes silent. I curiously stalk over to it, peering down. I carefully brush a few of the leaves away and find nothing but a deer! A deer! A deer could last us for several days, and she has killed one! I look up at Veronica, astonished. She beams down at me, as if saying, 'Who says girls can't be better than guys?'