Chapter 21: Storm Brewing

Author's Note: Thanks for reading! Fan, vote, comment, and share with friends! Sharing with your friends would make my day! Or comment please! This is dedicated to SoundMute, who fanned me. Thanks for fanning me! You made my day :) Well, sorry it's short, but I'm packing to go to my grandparents. I'll try to upload soon, but if note, the deadline is June 11. Enjoy!

"I know. We kill his sister," speaks a Gamemaker, his voice low and eerie in the dark night. This takes me aback. I knew this was coming, but just to actually hear the Gamemakers say it aloud...

"Yes," says another one, and I almost break into tears. They don't know that I'm here, on the roof behind a pillar, eavesdropping on them. If they did, I don't even know what would happen. Something horrible...

"That's it. It's probably necessary to kill  the girl, and if that's what it takes, that's what will happen." The wind is knocked out of me and I hunch on the ground, trying to hold back tears and anger. I try my hardest to lock it all up, but one tear silently falls off my cheek and splashes on the ground, making a dark circle on the dark pavement. It's followed by another and another, and before soon, I'm weeping. The Gamemakers keep talking, and I'm sitting here weeping. I'm having trouble keeping it silent, but luckily, they don't hear. But no matter how much I cry, the flame inside of me still remains, and only burns brighter. But suddenly, I am jolted out of my state by a Gamemaker.

"NO!" she shouts, silencing everybody. I peek around to find all of the Gamemakers staring at one woman. One bold, courageous, honorable woman who just stood up for what she believed in. Some Gamemakers have their jaw open, others with wide eyes. It's so silent on the roof I can almost hear Jasper right below my fight.

"No?" asks a Gamemaker, staring right at this woman.

"That's what I said, didn't you hear me?" says the woman. "We can't kill his sister! She didn't do anything!"

"But that's not the point. The point is to punish Zac, and the only way to do that is by killing-"

"Enough with the killing!" shouts the woman. "Kill, kill, kill, that's all we ever do! 'Oh, what's an entertaining way to kill this tribute?'. 'We need to kill this tribute'. 'This tribute misbehaved in training so we should give her a horrible death'. Why punish them like this?"

"Because there's no greater punishment than death!"

"But you just said that the biggest punishment is to kill Zac's sister!" she shouts, taking the others aback.

"That, well-" starts a Gamemaker.

"So there is a punishment crueler than their own death!" she shouts at them. "So why so much killing? Why is it so necessary?"

This stuns the rest, and I watch their expressions range from confusion to admiration to horror. Suddenly, I can relate to this woman. I remember myself releasing my anger towards Snow, yelling and spitting words at him. I think back to telling him to stop punishing us after 25 years of Hunger Games. I mean, how long will he continue this? I start to wonder if in fifty years, somebody will be in my position, going into the 75th Hunger Games. Will there be a 75th Hunger Games? How long will it continue?

"I'm sorry that you're upset, but we take orders from President Snow. We don't create the rules, we just follow them. And he's told us this a million times before, we need to keep the districts in order. If we let them do what they want, they'll just rebel all over again, and more lives will be spent-"

"That's just it!" exclaims the woman. "For how long have we cared about people's lives? Just look at these Hunger Games! 23 children dead for 24 years now, how many dead kids is that? 552 innocent children dead!"