Part One: Chapter Two

For the rest of the day, just as I had promised I worked out a plan of action. I decided the best approach would be to visit all of the villagers and ask for witnesses to come forward. If nobody were to step forward then I had a second plan. We would have no choice but to send out guards and unfortunately force people to come forward and give evidence. I hoped that we would only have to use the first plan but sometimes the people of Umbras would be reluctant to say anything unless it included praising their Queen. It was sad in away that they worshiped my Sister, I guess it was lovely to have somebody there to look up to but there was no need to spend hours worshiping her, she wasn't the perfect goddess that they viewed her as, of course she had her faults and flaws just like anybody else. But the people of Umbras were blind with love and would often spend up to five hours a day worshiping and praying for my Sister, obviously none of them even thought about who I was and what I did for their Queen.

After figuring out the plan I returned to my sisters room, where she was still weeping to share with her my ideas. Thankfully she agreed with them all and gave me permission to announce the plans to the guards. This was a big deal for me as it is always my Sister who announced everything first. Without giving her a second to change her mind I darted out of her huge bedroom and through the corridor to the guards quarters.

I cautiously walked up to the giant door that separated the guards rooms to the rest of the castle. I lifted the knocker and with one big swing I thudded it down on the massive wooden door. A few moments later the chief guard appeared in front of me, he invited me in and called the rest of his guards to sit around the gigantic dinning table in order to discuss the plan. I was seated at the top of the table whilst the guards filled the other seats around me.

"Miss Ima, we did not expect for you to visit us, I do apologise about the mess." The chief guard said as he looked around the room.

I looked to and couldn't understand what he meant by mess. The guards quarters was spotless compared to my room.

"Don't be silly." I replied cheerfully.

The guards all sighed with relief and returned their attention to me.

"I am here to discuss the plan of action in order to catch the traitor of Umbras." I said laying out the plan on the table.

The chief guard picked it up and smiled contently,

"Is this your work?" He asked.

I nodded and his grin grew larger.

"You know Ima, you're work reminds me a lot of your mother's work." He said laying the paper back down on the table.

I smiled at him as he summoned the rest of the guards to gather around the top of the table to view my plan.

Fortis, the youngest guard, was the last to analyse the plan and by the time it was his chance to discuss and ask questions all the other guards had returned back to the jobs their rooms. He sighed and sat down on the chair next to me.

"What's wrong?" I asked placing my hand on his shoulder.

He looked into my eyes and replied,

"I hate this, I hate being a guard and I hate living here knowing there is a traitor out there somewhere."

There was a small silence whilst I tried to think of an appropriate reply, I couldn't think of anything reassuring to say so I gave him a strong hug and whispered in his ear,

"I believe in you, I know you have the strength to carry on."

He slowly let go and kissed my hand sweetly,

"Thank you Ima, you truly are my hero." He said as he softly rested my hand on the table. I grinned at him just as the chief guard had grinned at me, then picked up my plans and stood up. Before I headed towards the door I gently kissed Fortis on the cheek.

"I have to go now, but I am always here if you want to talk." I said brushing his fringe to the side.

I shouted good bye to the rest of the guards and swiftly headed out of the door.

For the first time I felt like I was wanted, I felt as if I hadn't been completely forgotten about. Fortis was one of the sweetest guys I knew and he had just made my day, no more than just my day. He had said something I always longed to hear, I was somebody's hero. Somebody looked up to me in a way everybody else looked at my Sister. I certainly would be spending a lot more time in the guards quarters with Fortis.. and all the other guards of course.