Part 23

"Why are you up so early? And what are you doing out of bed?" Lindsey asked, seeing Stevie coming into the kitchen. He rushed to her side, helping her take a seat, pulling out a chair at the kitchen table.

"Don't freak out, okay?" 

"I always freak out when you tell me not to." Lindsey knelt down next to her, his hands on her knees. "What is it?"

"It's time. We've got to go to the hospital." Stevie told him as calm as ever. "My waters broke. I changed my clothes and-"

"What, Stevie?! You should have called me to help you!" Jumping to his feet, Lindsey began pacing around the kitchen. "Are you okay? Are you hurting?"

"Oh, I will be." She chuckled, putting one hand on the table to lift herself up. "Grab the bag I packed, it's in the closet, please."

"How are you so calm about this?" Lindsey stared at her.

"I've done this before, Linds. Twice." She added. "Now, please, go get the bag, so we can go have this baby at last!"

Nodding his head, Lindsey turned around and left, jogging up the stairs and into the bedroom. He returned in no time, taking his car keys before coming back to Stevie, wrapping his arm around her back tightly. He walked them out and into the car, his heart beating out of his chest, he was so nervous, but oh so excited!

Needless to say, Lindsey didn't pay much attention to the speed limit, focused on getting them to the hospital as quick as possible. During the drive, he kept asking Stevie if she was doing okay and every time she'd say, yes. If she hadn't had Luke and Mia, she would have been a mess and it was enough that Lindsey was freaking out for the both of them. Even though he had two children of his own, he was extremely concerned about Stevie. Maybe all of the risks and possible complications the doctor mentioned was finally catching up with him.

Stevie was assigned a room shortly after they arrived at the hospital. Lindsey helped her put on the hospital gown which she wasn't thrilled about. She claimed it was ugly and he just shook his head at her, laughing lightly. They were told that it could still be a while, so Stevie lay in bed for a few hours to come with Lindsey by her side the whole time. 

"Linds?" 

"Yeah?" He lifted his head up, he'd been resting it on her belly. 

"Could you call Ryan for me, please?" She asked, somewhat carefully. 

Ryan wasn't really present for the pregnancy. He visited Stevie a couple of times and even though she assured him he would always be the baby's father, Ryan felt as such less and less. He just didn't know how it was going to work out. Stevie was with Lindsey and Ryan didn't want his child to be confused as to why one man lived with them and the other one came to visit every once in a while. He thought it would be unfair to the child or himself. He knew he wasn't going to have the opportunity to spend as much time with his kid as he would like to, so... He needed to talk to Stevie.

"He said, he'll come as soon as he can." Lindsey informed Stevie, returning to the room. She just nodded her head and said, okay.

The doctor came to check on Stevie once again and when he looked up at her, a smile on his face, she knew. "It's really time now." He said.

"I know, I'm- I'm ready." She said, then turned to face Lindsey. "You don't have to be in here, honey." She took his hand, he bent down to press a kiss to her forehead. "Go outside and tell the kids, I'll be just fine."

"You sure?" He asked and she nodded her head. Pressing his lips to hers, lingering a moment, he backed off. "I love you."

"I love you, too."

Walking out of the room, Lindsey slumped down next to Mia. Luke was pacing until he saw Lindsey, approaching him instantly. 

"How is she?"

"Great." Lindsey replied. "She said, I should stay out here with you."

"Yeah, I wouldn't want my boyfriend seeing me give birth either." Mia made a disgusted face, making Lindsey chuckle. 

They grew silent, anxiously waiting for any news. Neither of the three was really sure how much time had passed, when a nurse came out, smiling at the family. "I know all of you are excited to meet the little one, but we should let the father say, hi, first."

"I'm-" Lindsey was going to correct the older woman, but he stopped himself, following her inside. 

"Hey..." Lindsey grinned at the sight of Stevie, clearly exhausted, holding a tiny bundle in her arms. 

"Hey." She echoed, smiling too, but her eyes remained on her child. "Gosh, Linds, he's so perfect."

"He?"

"Yes, a boy." Stevie nodded her head, pulling the blanket away from the baby's face. "Just look at him."

Tears in his eyes, Lindsey pressed a kiss to her damp hair, before kissing the boy's little forehead as well. Mia and Luke entered the room a short while later to meet their brother too. The nurse told everyone that Stevie needed to rest, before closing her eyes for some sleep, she told Mia and Luke they should go home. Reluctantly, they did, but Lindsey refused to leave her alone.

It was later that evening, when Ryan arrived. He was going to come right after Lindsey called him, but he felt like he didn't really belong there, so he didn't. Coming into Stevie's room, it stung seeing her holding their child and Lindsey right there with them. 

"Hi." Ryan spoke up, breaking up the family embrace. 

"Ryan, hi." Stevie didn't think he'd show up at all. "Don't stand there, come here."

"I'll give you two some time alone." Lindsey said, giving her a peck on the lips, he left. 

"You have a son, Ryan. His name is Ethan." She smiled, giving the baby to Ryan.

For a few minutes Ryan just watched his son. He couldn't fight the tears, knowing what he was about to tell Stevie. Placing Ethan back into Stevie's arms, Ryan pulled up a chair and sat down. 

"Don't get me wrong, Stevie. I love you and I love Ethan, I do, but..." He shook his head, sighing. "I don't think I can do this. I can't handle seeing my son only on weekends and holidays. I..."

"What are you saying?" Stevie frowned. 

"I'm saying that- that Lindsey is going to be a great father to Ethan." He bit on his lower lip. "You two will always have a special place in my heart, but I think it's for the best that Ethan knows one Dad."

"What?" Stevie was shocked as she stared at him wide eyed. "It doesn't have to be this way, Ryan."

"It does. I feel like it does." He quickly caught a tear and stood up. "Thank you." He said, taking one last look at his son. He kissed Ethan on his chubby cheek and stroked his soft hair, saying goodbye to the both of them. 

~

THE END (?)

Okay, help me out here. I'm thinking about wrapping this story up here, in a happy place. I think I'd prefer writing a sequel instead. What do you think?