Part 2

"Good morning." Showered and in a fresh set of clothes Stevie came down and into the kitchen. Her younger of the two children was sat at the table, eating a bowl of cereal. "Okay." Stevie said, receiving no answer. "What is it this time?" Stevie asked, making herself a cup of coffee.

Mia glared at her mother. "You seem to have gotten over Dad really fast."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Stevie crossed her arms over her chest. 

"I saw him sneaking out earlier." Mia referred to Ryan. "It's disgusting, he's like half your age."

"Ryan isn't half my age, first of all. And it's none of your business." Stirring sugar in her cup, Stevie put the spoon down and took a sip. "It's not like I cheated on your father, unlike he used to do."

"Well, maybe he didn't get it at home." 

"Mia!" Stevie was shocked to hear her daughter saying that. "How dare you? You can't talk to me like that!"

The teenager rolled her eyes, sighing. "Whatever. By the way, Dad's coming over soon."

"What for? He doesn't live here anymore." Stevie was looking out the window instead of her daughter. "I'm surprised he's even up at this hour. I don't believe he didn't spend his night drinking and doing-" Stevie caught herself just in time, thinking she'd go with the second best to finish her sentence. "Other women. Who have always been half my age at least. But that's not disgusting, right? Because your precious father is allowed to do whatever he wants."

Stevie never meant to talk that way about her now ex husband to their children. He might have been a shitty husband, but he'd always been a good father, so it wasn't fair, but the wounds were still fresh and Mia had hit a nerve.

"I want to live with Dad." Mia stated, causing Stevie to frown.

"Well, you can visit him on weekends and some of the holidays." 

"I'm fifteen!" Mia exclaimed. "Some judge can't decide when I can see my father!"

"Too bad." Stevie shrugged. "I'm sorry, you're stuck with me. That's absolutely torturous for you, I know."

It hurt Stevie that her and Mia's relationship had gone down hill so fast. Mia had always been a Daddy's girl, but things were fine right up until Stevie filed for divorce. Mia chose to ignore her own mother as best as she could, only talking to her when she felt like it. Most of her time Mia spent locking herself in her room or out with her friends, which was her way of avoiding Stevie. 

"Why are you being like this? What has Dad ever done to you so horrible that you hate him so much?" Mia stared at Stevie, who was gritting her teeth and taking deep breaths to calm herself. 

"Because you are his daughter and because I know how much he means to you, I'm not going to talk about everything that's ever happened between us." Stevie said, her voice even. "You don't have to know."

Mia scoffed. "Right, because you're such a saint."

"I really don't want to have an argument right now. Maybe when you're older, we can talk."

"I'm fif-"

"You're fifteen, I know! You're a child, Mia. So don't pretend you know everything, okay?"

Before Mia could reply, the front door was unlocked and opened. Stevie closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose, bracing herself. No. She decided she didn't want to stick around and walked out of the kitchen. On her way, without even stopping she said. "Leave your key before you go."

"Hello to you, too." Mick said, paying no attention to his ex-wife. "What's up with her?"

Mia came to greet her father, giving him a hug. "She's a bitch."

"Hey, don't call your mother that." He gave his daughter a pointed, serious look. "I know you two are having a rough time, but she's still your Mom, she loves you."

"Right. She wouldn't be talking trash about you if she did." Mia said, then added. "I'm going to get my things and we can leave."

Knowing better, Mick still followed Mia up the stairs, but he stopped by Stevie's, not that long ago their, bedroom. The door was opened, so he went in. He didn't go in too far inside, when he was met by Stevie's glare.

"What do you think you're doing here?" 

"I came to ask if everything's okay."

"Mick, I really don't want to talk about it and I especially don't want to talk to you. Just go, I'm sure Mia can't wait to leave."

Sighing, Mick didn't do that. "She told me, she wants to live with me, but I said no. She thinks we're going to discuss it again, but... rules are rules. And-" Mick hesitated, but he took a seat at the foot of the bed anyway. "We still have to finish recording that album, Stevie. If we keep fighting, it's going to be hell for the both of us. You wanted out of our marriage, it's done. You've escaped from me, what else do you want?" She didn't answer. "Can we at least be civil?"

Stevie looked up, seeing Mia in the doorway. "Your daughter is waiting for you."