Part 11

It had been a few weeks since Lindsey had that honest conversation with Stevie. Yet, he still hadn't approached Kristen about it. It shouldn't be so hard. He should be able to talk to his own wife. 

Deciding to spend the night at home, Lindsey left the band's house in the middle of the day. It seemed unusual to Mick, but Stevie had a pretty good idea why Lindsey left. Just before going out the door, they passed each other and Lindsey gave her a nervous smile, she took his hand, giving him a supportive squeeze. 

On his way home Lindsey stopped to get some flowers. He knew it wasn't going to fix anything, but he figured it was the least he could do. Pulling into the driveway, Lindsey started doubting if he should open that can of worms... No. No, he should. Before it's too late.

Sure, Lindsey missed his kids, but when he entered the house and the first ting Kristen did was shush him, because it was nap time, he was somewhat relieved. He had to deal with Kristen first, before he chickened out.

"These are for you." Lindsey half smiled, presenting his wife with the bouquet he'd bought. 

"What's the occasion?" Kristen asked, raising an eyebrow at him.

"No occasion. I just thought..." He was clearly struggling. Lindsey hated it, he hated that he felt as if he was talking to stranger. 

"Thanks." Kristen took the flowers and went to put them in the water. 

Lindsey remained standing in the hallway, scratching the back of his neck. He willed himself to go after Kristen into the family room. He watched her take a seat and pick up a magazine. Lindsey went to sit next to her, opening his mouth, wanting to ask what she was reading, but he shook his head. That wasn't why he came home.

"Kristen, we need to talk."

"So, talk." She shrugged.

"Could you put that down for a bit?" He showed to her magazine. Fighting back a sigh, Kristen put it down and crossed her arms over her chest, facing him. "I want to know what's on your mind. I want to know why we're drifting apart."

"Really? You have to ask?" 

"Okay, you're mad. I'm sorry I'm so oblivious. Yes, I have to ask." Lindsey nodded his head, wiping his sweaty palms on his jeans.

"I hate that I'm never going to be your number one." She said. She didn't sound angry, she sounded upset. "Because that position is taken and it has been since way before you and I met."

"If you're referring to St-"

"Oh, God..." Kristen shook her head, sighing. "Okay, so there's another problem we have then." Lindsey's eyebrows creased, he genuinely didn't understand. "I was talking about Fleetwood Mac! I know you love the band, the music, but Lindsey... you dedicate all of your time to it. You finished one tour, I thought I'll have you back, but no. You locked yourself in your studio the second you stepped through the door. When you found a spare minute, you got me pregnant and you left me own my own again, because Fleetwood Mac started recording the new album. On your lunch break, you married me." Her statement was clearly hyperbolic, but she wanted to get her point across. "You spend day and night with those people, leaving me alone to care for two small kids, Lindsey. And when you decide to pay us a visit, you're surprised I don't want to have sex with you. This isn't the life I imagined we'd have. I only have your last name, but I don't have you."

"Well, I uh- Kristen you know that I'm all in on any project. You knew what to expect." Lindsey knew he probably shouldn't have said that.

"No, I didn't. You claimed you've always wanted to be a family man. I gave you what you wanted and it's still not enough. Fleetwood Mac is still your priority. Don't you ever think how much you're missing out? Doesn't it hurt you that you're not seeing your children growing up?" Kristen knew this conversation was awaiting them and she had promised herself not to fall apart in front of him. But she was hurt, he was hurting her and she couldn't stop herself from crying. "Sometimes I wonder if your kids will even know what you look like."

"Now stop that. Don't say that. I spend as much time with them as I can, Kristen. I don't choose to live some place else, I have to. We have deadlines and we have a lot of work. Recording an album isn't easy."

"I never claimed it was. But Lindsey..." Kristen wiped under her eyes with the back of her hand. "I'm sorry, I don't believe you. If a family is truly what you had been dreaming of, you'd find a way. Is it really necessary for you to spend 24 hours a day there?" A fresh wave of tears suddenly washed over her. "You thought I was talking about Stevie earlier..." She sniffled. "Is she the reason why I don't have a husband and my kids don't have a father?"

"No!" Lindsey shook his head, repeating. "No, Kristen. I can't lie, Stevie and I got pretty close during this process, but nothing inappropriate is going on. I'm not cheating you, besides Stevie's got a man in her life." It didn't go unnoticed by Kristen how instantly tense Lindsey got, mentioning Ryan. 

"Then why does it make you angry?"

Lindsey frowned. "It doesn't." It did.

"Lindsey, I love you. I love you so much, but I can't keep living like this. I don't want to have to share you all the time, to beg you for your attention. We should be your priority, Lindsey. Not them."

"But you are!" He insisted.

"Are we really?" Kristen asked, but he didn't answer. Standing up on her feet, Kristen looked down at him. "I think you've got some thinking to do. I'll be waiting."

"Wait, what do you mean?" He grasped her hand, keeping her from walking away.

"Think about it." She smiled sadly at him. "Know that I love you." 

Left alone, Lindsey remained seated. He sat hunched over, his head in his hands. Should he give her space? Should he go after her? Lindsey groaned. He chose to do the wrong thing where Kristen was concerned, but it felt right to him.

Dialing the number he knew by heart, Lindsey waited. As soon as his call was answered, he spoke up.

"Stevie, I need to see you."

"This isn't Stevie." Ryan said.

Lindsey immediately hung up. He realized that Ryan knew it was him, but he just didn't know how to respond. 

He felt alone.

Meanwhile, over at Stevie's, Ryan stared at the phone a second longer, then turned to face her. "I think, it was Lindsey."

"Was?"

Ryan nodded. "He hung up. He sounded distressed. He said, he needed to see you." Raising an eyebrow, Ryan asked. "Why would he need to see you?"

"I don't know." Stevie shrugged. "I should call Lindsey back."

"I'm sure if it was important, he would have asked me to hand over the phone to you."

"Maybe he just didn't expect to hear your voice." Stevie said, walking over to the phone, but Ryan stood in her way.

"He should have, we are together, you and I." 

"Ryan, come on... He's a friend." 

"He'll call you again if he needs to." Ryan was undeniably jealous. He kept it to himself, but he really disliked the fact Stevie spent so much time not with one, but two of her exes. 

"Lindsey is probably on his way to the band's house. I have to go see him."

"You just came home, first of all. And I'm sure, he's just fine." Ryan emphasized. Stevie sighed, being left with no choice. "I think, dinner's ready." Ryan said, walking over to the stove.