Part 12

"Wow, I can't believe you're out of bed so early." Mick opened his mouth as soon as Stevie walked through the door the following morning.

"Shut up, Mick." She groaned, rolling her eyes at him. "Is Lindsey here?"

"I thought, you told me to shut up."

She really didn't have any patience to deal with Mick right now. Instead of going to the room, where Lindsey spent most of his time, usually with a guitar across his lap, she climbed up the stairs and turned towards his bedroom. She just had a feeling.

Knocking on the closed door a few times, she waited. Hearing a reply from the other side, Stevie turned the doorknob and entered the room, finding Lindsey in bed, his back turned to her. "Hey." She said, standing by the door, unsure if she should come closer.

"Hi." Lindsey replied, his voice sounded hoarse. "I'm sorry, I called yesterday."

"You don't have to be sorry about anything, Linds." Stevie said. Since he was talking to her, she closed the bedroom door and approached the bed, walking to the other side, she sat down right next to him. "I'm sorry that I couldn't be there for you."

"I understand. I shouldn't expect you to drop everything and come to me." Stevie could tell he was somewhere else in his thoughts. 

"What happened yesterday, Linds?" Stevie asked softly, bringing her hand up to his face, her thumb brushing across his cheek, feeling his stubble. "I take it, it didn't go so well."

Shaking his head, Lindsey told her, no. "It was so weird, Steph, talking to her. It's as if I was talking to someone I didn't know at all."

"And did Kristen tell you, what's really going on?" Her fingers now combing through his grey curls.

"Basically, it's all my fault. She said, I put the music first before my family. I don't spend any time with them. She said, she's afraid our kids won't know what I look or sound like." Lindsey closed his eyes, feeling himself getting emotional. "She said, she only has my last name, but she doesn't have me." He decided to make the long story short. "Kristen told me, she loves me, but I've got some thinking to do."

"As in?" Stevie had a hunch, but she didn't want to assume.

"I guess, it's up to me now. I have to decide what's more important; my family or my career." He groaned, reaching for Stevie's hand, he laced his fingers through hers. "It's sounds so horrible. It's not that I don't love my children, because I do love them with all of my heart, but music is so very important to me, too, Stevie. You know that."

"I do." She nodded.

"I don't know what to do. I'm not ready to retire. Music has always been my greatest passion and I just- I can't give it up." It broke her heart, seeing a tear slip from his eye. "One of your kids is a teenager, the other has a kid of his own already, they understand. How do I explain to two small children that- that..."

"Lindsey, are you saying that you're thinking about divorce?" It was like Rumours all over again in a way, Stevie never thought they'd go through something like that again. She knew for a long time that her and Mick's marriage was doomed, but she believed Lindsey and his wife wouldn't come to that. It wasn't easy for her to admit, but from a side, it seemed like Kristen and Lindsey were happy together.

"What choice do I have? Kristen let me understand that I either give up on my music or I give up on- on my family."

"Don't say that. You're not giving up on your family. If you feel like this is the right thing to do, remember, you're not leaving your children. You're always going to be their father."

"I hate this." Lindsey said, his voice quiet.

"I know." And Stevie did know. Taking that step, admitting failure, filing for divorce had to be the hardest decision she had ever made. "I'm here for you, Linds."

He squeezed her hand, bringing it up to his lips. "Lay with me?"

She couldn't find it in her to say no to him. Lindsey scooted towards the middle of the bed, making space for Stevie. She kicked off her shoes and lay down next to him, his arm wrapping around her middle, holding her tight. They hadn't been that close in a very long time. Lindsey buried his face in her hair, inhaling deeply. It wasn't so friendly anymore.

Unsure of how long they'd stayed like that, Stevie turned around, her chest pressing against Lindsey's. He tucked a strand of hair away from her face behind her ear, their eyes locked. The palm of his hand caressed her cheek, searching for something in her eyes. He knew they shouldn't. She knew they shouldn't. But that knowledge wasn't enough to stop Lindsey from kissing her. It had been years since they'd shared an intimate moment like that. They didn't rush. Their lips remained locked for a short while, before she opened her mouth for him slowly, unsure. God, it felt so good... She missed him, he missed her and they took their time expressing what they couldn't say out loud.

Unfortunately, the moment didn't last as they were interrupted by none other than Mick. He didn't have the courtesy to knock, he just swung the door open. He didn't even seem mad, if anything he actually seemed almost victorious, his suspicions finally confirmed.

~

I'm not sure if you're enjoying reading this story as much as I'm enjoying writing it. I hope you are! Thanks for your feedback ♥