Death's Penalty

✔death's penalty chapter one

Shit! It felt like my lungs were going to explode anytime. I was running out of breath but I knew I could not stop. I must not stop. Not until I felt that it was safe to do so. And what I was feeling was way too far from being safe.

I decided to glance behind me. I was running as if I was being chased by giant chickens on steroids.

I didn't actually know if they really were chickens or worms. And I didn't even care if there was no point of comparison between chickens and worms. I didn't know how many they were or if he or she was alone; nor what I was doing in this freaky forest at this unholy hour of the night.

It was almost impossible to see a thing here. My bare feet were soiled by mud; and stones cut my soles. My wounds hurt but I could not afford to check them. Plus, I knew I would not be able to see how they were. The moonlight barely penetrated the trees.

Squinting my eyes, I tried to see what was pursuing me but to no avail, darkness was all I saw.

When I turned back from looking behind, I realized it was a wrong move. A tree branch greeted me.

My face throbbed from the hit. I lost my footing and the sharp-edged stones and sticky mud welcomed me with a thud. Fuck.

I tried to get onto my feet but I could not. I could not bring myself to move.

"No! Oh God! Please help me!" I whispered closing my eyes.

I could feel whatever it was chasing me near. He was getting nearer and nearer by the minute.  I could not just lay here and wait for him to eat me! Well, I was not sure if he's going to eat me; or if he really was a he. Still!

I kept trying to lift even just a finger but my body just won't budge. A shadow suddenly loomed over me.

It was so dark here but I could see a form of a man. Relief flood my system instantly. Thank goodness!  At least he was not a centaur or a unicorn or a gargoyle! Imagine the dread I would be feeling if I saw that he was not a human.  I allowed a sigh escape from me.

I tried to smile despite the hurt I was in. A man would never resist a beautiful damsel in distress.

I was the personification of the word beautiful according to my mom.  She used to tell me I was the most beautiful girl in the universe every time she tucked me in at night.

Some said that was not counted as a compliment. All moms thought of their daughters beautiful. But my mom was the kind of person who would never lie even if it would make someone feel better. So, yep! I believed her. Besides, mothers know best.

"Thinking of you mother? How sweet of you."

How the hell did he know? No. That could not be possible. I spoke aloud. Yes! That must be it. He heard me talked about my mom and I was not aware of it. Things like that happen, right?

"They do. But not on this case."

I could sense his amusement from his voice. And he said...

"Fuck!"

The man above me chuckled. My heartbeat started to race again. A hunch entered my mind.

Could he be a vampire? Only vampires were the dark creatures I knew of that can read minds.

Hell! I'd always wanted to know if vampires, werewolves and demons were true but I never imagined it would be like this!

I remembered the joke I once told my best friend Lhyn. I told her that I thought if I were to face a vampire, there would be three reasons why: