A Published Mistake

*MARNIE'S POV*

I scrolled through my text messages from the last 24 hours with a deep scowl etched across my face:

Marnie I am so so sorry. I am such a tool. Please let me at least try and explain what happened. I really want to speak to Nola. H

Please talk to me, Marnie. Just answer my calls so I can apologise. H

I know you're mad, Marnie, and you have every right to be, but please just answer your phone or reply to my messages. I am freaking out here. I just want to know that you and Nola are ok? H

Please, I'm begging you. H

Manrie. i haveb to speak to you ans nolqs. pleasw dont;e do this. 

srop ignforing me i jnow yoi want answwrs.

As the messages trailed off into drunken jumbles of words I felt my anger growing. He was unbelieveable. How did he honestly think that getting drunk again was going to make this situation any better? Of course I hadn't replied to any of messages or answered any of his calls. Why would I have? He'd disappointed me beyond belief and quite honestly I wasn't sure if there was any coming back from it. It wasn't even just how he'd made me feel that was the problem. It was Nola. He'd screamed in both our faces and terrified her. His own daughter. 

 The minute we'd stepped through our front door Elenore had flat out told me not to bother with any of them ever again. I knew the majority of her bitterness came as the result of Niall's lack of interest in her rather than Harry's intoxicated antics, but never the less, I'd never seen her more demanding about something in our entire friendship. She'd told me to cut him off and forget all about him, because that's what she was going to do to Niall, but only hours later I'd found her curled up on her bed watching videos of him YouTube with a block of chocolate and a tub of icecream. Unfortunately it wasn't going to be as easy as she'd made out. 

Harry's entrance to the party had left me considering Elenore's suggestion, but I wasn't sure I could tell Nola that her daddy wasn't going to be around any more. Not when she'd become so invested in him. We both had. I didn't think she was going to understand why she wouldn't be seeing him anymore either, which made the whole situation harder. The whole thing was a mess. It had always been a mess really, but recently it had started to become normal and smooth running. Now it just looked like a huge catastrophe. Allowing Harry to be involved in Nola's life has been an accident waiting to happen. A ticking time bomb. And I'd been stupid enough to allow Harry to set it off. 

A knock at the door interrupted me from my sulking and I put my phone aside, hoping it wasn't anyone that was intending on having a conversation with me because I really wasn't in the mood. Nola looked up at me from her spot on the floor and smiled. She was happy, that was the main thing. I stepped into the hall and closed the door to lounge behind me, not wanting the crisp air to cut through her like it undoubtedly would me when I opened up the entrance. Our building was ridiculously cold, especially now in the Winter. Before my hand had even touched the handle, the silhouette on the other side of the frosted glass told me not to bother. It was him. Of course it was him.

The outline of the wild array of curls made it strikingly obvious that the person on the other side of my door was the person I really didn't want to see. He was here to grovel, no doubt. I retracted my hand and stared at the door instead, waiting for him to notice that his request of entry had been denied. I didn't want him in here, not unless he took a breath test first. He took a step forward suddenly and pressed his face against the glass.

"Marnie, I can see you. Please open the door. I've come to apologise." Of he had, but I didn't care. 

"Go home, Harry." I replied, crossing my arms. "You're wasting your time here." He pressed both his hands up against the glass and sighed.